A complex plot doesn't quite come off in 80 minutes but this is very good indeed and has some interesting minor bits from the likes of Noel Langley, George Woodbridge, and Lyn Evans. Preston is very good, as are the rest of the players, especially the actor who plays the Inspector. Her solution to her problem is to try and snare a rich husband. IMDb King Arthur's rule is threatened by the adulterous love between Sir Lancelot and Queen Guinevere, a relationship the king's enemies hope to exploit. When Germany invades Holland in 1940, a British intelligence officer and two Dutch diamond merchants go to Amsterdam to persuade the Dutch diamond merchants to evacuate their diamond supplies to England. The film is an adaptation of Fitzgerald's 2010 play of the same name. Was this review helpful to you? Mentioning the movie on IMDb,I was happily caught by surprise,when a very kind IMDb'er gave me the chance to take a look at the title,which led to me looking up at the sky,so that I could at last see the cloud burst. Check out some of the IMDb editors' favorites movies and shows to round out your Watchlist. A revenge tale with a difference as ex resistance fighter tracks down his wife Carol's killers using techniques he has been taught by the very best.I would view it as a 'Mike Hammer light' movie. It is recommended to switch to…, Some may be on rarefilmm.com, others may not be, Kevin Royal Johnson 3,249 films 226 Edit, A complete list of the films in John Grant's A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Film Noir: The Essential Reference Guide, an…. Film Noir: They Shot Dark Pictures, Didn't They? Yet another "cryptographer out for revenge upon the people who ran over his wife" yarn. A signalman on a quay sees a fight between two men. Then he discovers ... See full summary ». More details at To the best of my knowledge, every film produced by legendary UK studio (and later, House of Horror) Hammer Films. One of the men is deliberately pushed into the water and the signalman cannot save him, but decides to keep his suitcase which later finds is full of banknotes with a value of £5000. What to Watch Latest Trailers IMDb TV IMDb Originals IMDb Picks IMDb Podcasts Awards & Events Oscars Best Picture Winners Best Picture Winners Golden Globes Emmys STARmeter Awards San Diego Comic-Con New York Comic-Con Sundance Film Festival Toronto Int'l Film Festival Awards Central Festival Central All Events Keep track of everything you watch; tell your friends. Using all his skills he tracks the killers to exact justice. The storytelling is compelling, and there's a surprising complexity in Preston's character. An otherwise upright and moral man (Robert Preston) becomes obsessed with vengeance when he sees his wife killed in a hit and run. a good making of on the DVD for the fun Hammer Horror title The Mummy's Shroud,I was shocked to discover that actress Elizabeth Sellars holds the honour of starring in the last movie that Hammer filmed at Bray studios, (Shroud) and the first film that Hammer shot at the studio,which appeared to be a completely forgotten Film Noir. Film data from TMDb. British noir that incorporates Hannibal's Code into its storyline. Shorter works and television productions are…, Missing from the list: Doorway To Suspicion (1957) Escape Route (1952) Heartaches (1947) Glory Alley (1952) Johnny Rocco (1958) Night…, Feature narrative films in the Hammer Film Productions Ltd. canon, including all the famous 'Hammer Horror' films, which do constitute…. A happily-married woman is blackmailed by her first husband, who she wrongly believed was killed in the Blitz. Add the first question. 1863. A Canadian World War II veteran working for the British Foreign Office scours England for the killer who murdered his wife. Directed by Francis Searle. Technical Specs, See agents for this cast & crew on IMDbPro, Dancing Woman at Tavern He decides to make them suffer in the way Carol did when they killed her, but then becomes involved in the search for the man who killed the man he killed.If you can get over the fact that a previously law-abiding man who had been decorated at the palace would decide to commit murder before he had given the police a chance to find the absconding car driver and passenger this is a very enjoyable film. Witness the Furiosa Cast, Shiny and Chrome, and More Movie News Dexter Returns! Company Credits Mobile site. The police investigates five possible suspects in the murder of a greedy and scheming woman who wronged them. John : "We used to made mistakes too you know, but we could always…. But, this is the IMDb so what else is new.I'd never seen or heard of Cloudburst prior to the recent showing on TCM. Use the HTML below. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. Slow by American Noir standards but simply stated by British standards and worth the ride. A list comprising all feature-length films produced by Hammer Film Productions between 1934 and 1980. I read the other two "reviews" here - the first written by someone who seems to have seen a different film than the one actually in front of his eyes, and the other by someone who doesn't really get one of the major plot points. As I recently watched (in 2014!) John (Robert Preston) worked as a cryptographer in WW2, and uses his contacts to find the man and woman who ran his wife Carol (Elizabeth Sellars) down in the car and didn't stop. Corrections are always welcome, email is preferred: kevin@royalbooks.com. It premiered at the Atlantic Film Festival in Halifax, Nova Scotia on September 16, 2011. Curated | Film Noir | John Grant | A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Film Noir | Worldwide | 1915-Present, Curated | Film Noir | Worldwide | Classic | 1940-1965 | Master List, Psychotronic Ultimate Guide (as complete as possible), Book: Film Noir Guide: 745 Films Of The Classic Era, 1940-1959, Curated | General | Michael Weldon | The Psychotronic Video Guide | 1996 | A-H. The titles from this list still missing in the database are [updated 07-17-16]: Action Heroes of the Cliffhanger Serials…. Kevin Royal Johnson 1,922 films 153 2 Edit. Explosives expert Lionel Crabbe arrives in Gibraltar to organise defenses, ... See full summary », Nicole has no job and is several weeks behind with her rent. Title: A rare serious leading role for Robert Preston shows what a great actor he was in this British thriller, directed by Francis Searle from a play by Leo Marks. Occupants of a London boarding house become suspects as a string of murders are discovered. It's quite a good little film - well directed by Searle, whose work I don't know at all, with a top-notch score by Frank Spencer, a composer I also don't know. Cloudburst Of course you have to be minded of Death Wish (1974). Definitely not the kind of role I’m used to seeing Robert Preston in! A carefully thought out movie, from the dialogue to the crafty action and fight scenes...and especially the touching scene with Preston and his wife, which is vital to the films plot. The script is based on a play written by Leo Marks, a wartime cryptographer for the Special Operations Executive, and later the author of a memoir about his wartime work, Between Silk and Cyanide (1998). it's from a play so it's a bit talky for the run time but it's also much nastier than i was expecting considering who was involved, where it was made and the time period. © Letterboxd Limited. The film is about a World War II veteran, a former operative for the SOE, who seeks revenge on the driver and passenger of a hit-and-run … TMDb It's a bit stiff at first, and the denouement loses the head full of steam the middle section builds, but it all serves as a compelling little revenge tale. These are the known, theatrically released, feature-length films produced or co-produced by Hammer Studios. Made by fans in Auckland, New Zealand. Robert Preston Elizabeth Sellars Colin Tapley Sheila Burrell Harold Lang Mary Germaine Stanley Baker Edith Sharpe Edward Lexy Lyn Evans, 83 mins   We also catch-up with justice pretty quick which was refreshing. In the Mediterranean in 1941 the Italians start using underwater chariots to mine the undersides of allied ships. Looking for some great streaming picks? Cloudburst is a 1951 British crime drama film, directed by Francis Searle, starring Robert Preston and featuring Elizabeth Sellars, Harold Lang, Colin Tapley and Sheila Burrell. Enlisting the help of her friend Gloria and the maitre'd at a ... See full summary », When Richard Logan, the partner in a safe making firm, is found unconscious, on an old deserted bomb site, he finds that he has no recollection of the last three weeks. And may the luck of the Seven Pillars of Gulu be with you at all times. A work in progress, with many films still to add. Bray Studios, Down Place, Oakley Green, Berkshire, England, UK. Good movie. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of service apply. I liked how we spend time with the killer and the vigilante allowing us to understand them both to some degree. Private eye investigates diamond theft, and becomes involved with an ancient family curse. 16 of 23 people found this review helpful. Texas Ranger Todd Croyden and Union spy Whitney Randolph cross into Mexico to investigate a growing struggle for power between the French-supported Maximilian and the native-born ... See full summary ». Well-acted and moody. Plot Outline:A man sees his wife killed in a hit and run. Once the wheels are in motion, there's some wonderful sequences, including one where Preston just about throws a guy through the goddamn barn floor, and the turnabout games played between protagonist and detective give it a fun dynamic while still maintaining those shades of grey noir makes all so fascinating. A very well directed British crime noir with superb cinematography, camera work and performances...It stars Robert Preston a Canadian and ex-commando raider for the Resistance during WW2, who is now in charge of a group of codebreakers at a London Special Operations Office...and now finds himself what could be his last (personal) mission...to try and track down the hit and run couple who he witnessed kill his pregnant wife Elizabeth Sellars. A rare British Noir which has disappeared from the radar and is certainly worth a viewing. Leo Marks, from whose play this was taken, was a fascinating writer and person - as one of the others points out, he really did work as a decoder during the war - and this isn't the only film he wrote where the central character is a decoder - he also wrote Sebastian, in which Dirk Bogarde plays a decoder. Watched on the Official Hammer Channel On YouTube. Robert Preston, a veteran of movies like This Gun For Hire was one of many actors who headed to the United Kingdom in the early 1950's and starred in this early Hammer Films movie Cloudburst. Official Sites 1951 grabbed this randomly from the library.i ended up liking it a lot more than i thought i would. | Report this film, “You’ve broken so many codes...but you shouldn’t have broken the moral code too.”. A Canadian World War II veteran working for the British Foreign Office scours England for the killer who murdered his wife. | View production, box office, & company info, looks at the crossword his wife has been doing, The Best or Only Hammer Films Productions for Each Year 1947 - 1979. Notes:A nice build up to the crime, this movie is taking it's time to build character and story. An American World War II veteran working for the British Foreign Office scours England for the killer who murdered his wife. Cast . Her resume includes a multitude of theatre, film and television credits, as … This FAQ is empty. NOTE: There is a new and improved version of this list currently being compiled.