[Notes on a Scandal], “If everybody was so reverent of the institute of marriage, how did all the adultery get committed?” ― Zoë Heller, quote from What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal essays are academic essays for citation. I didn't bring them here. For some couples, the see-saw of affections takes place over a week. ― Zoë Heller, quote from What Was She Thinking? It is quite the opposite: confirmation of my irrelevance. I cannot pull myself together again and spend the next fifteen hours of wakefulness fending off the fact of my own misery.”, “[...]One pretends that manners are the formalisation of basic kindness and consideration, but a great deal of the time they're simply aesthetics dressed up as moral principles, aren't they?”, “It is always difficult, the transition from noisy refusal to humble acceptance.”, “If everybody was so reverent of the institute of marriage, how did all the adultery get committed?”, “It's clear that politeness to one's elders can't always be justified on the basis of the elder's superior wisdom. Essays for Notes on a Scandal. It is quite the opposite: confirmation of my irrelevance.”, “It's similar to the way you feel cuddling an infant or a kitten, when you want to squeeze it so hard you'd kill it...”, “It's always a disappointing business confronting my own reflection. And notes on a scandal are as much as about the scandal of Sheba and young by, as it is about the scandal … Sheba is a bit of a snob about drink and she keeps whining at me to get a grander sort. this section. You make out To Do lists - reorganise linen cupboard, learn two sonnets. Being told secrets is not - never has been - a sign that I belong or that I matter. A Comparison of the ways in which Women Hold on to Their Youth in A Streetcar Named Desire and Notes on a Scandal, View Wikipedia Entries for Notes on a Scandal…. And this is the real source of my dismay. Well, it's like that. I have sat on park benches and trains and schoolroom chairs, feeling the great store of unused, objectless love sitting in my belly like a stone until I was sure I would cry out and fall, flailing, to the ground. When the pact ends, there's nothing left.”, “But about the drip drip of long-haul, no-end-in-sight solitude, they know nothing. ― Zoë Heller, quote from What Was She Thinking? In all likelihood, she’ll receive exactly the same punishment as a man. [Notes on a Scandal], “Sheba has often told me that she thinks there's a rhythm to married life, an ebb and flow in the pleasure that a couple take in one another. ― Zoë Heller, quote from What Was She Thinking? world; conversely, gleaning the main ideas of a book via a quote or a quick summary is Books are seen by some as a throwback to a previous [Notes on a Scandal], “There it was again - the perverse refusal to acknowledge my hostility. As the world communicates more and [Notes on a Scandal] “I'm a child in that respect: able to live, physically speaking, on a crumb of anticipation for weeks at a time, but always in danger of crushing the waited-for event with the freight of my excessive hope.” It's just that the external me- the study, lightly wrinkled, handbagged me- does so little credit to the stuff that's inside.” I had sex and left. Founded in 2018, BookQuoters has quickly become a large and vibrant community of people The number of secrets I receive is in inverse proportion to the number if secrets anyone expects me to have of my own. more via texts, memes and sound bytes, short but profound quotes from books have become Perry, Jody. You are everything. [Notes on a Scandal] Quotes, “There are certain people in whom you can detect the seeds of madness - seeds that have remained dormant only because the people in question have lived relatively comfortable, middle class lives. Sheba leans against the oven and watches me while I work. ― Daniel Quinn, quote from The Story of B: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit, “Пази я вместо мен Конлан - Аларик”