In bizarre circumstances, Kelly was also given the option of a further eight years at the end of his current contract, the likes of which have never been seen in the AFL, however he would remain a restricted free agent if he chose not to take up the option. It is another massive vote of confidence in the club from Whitfield, who was the No.1 draft pick in 2012 and has since played 133 games for the Giants. No lock-in contract. So that's obviously a driving factor in me staying here.". Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out. Lachlan Whitfield (born 18 July 1994) is a professional Australian rules footballer playing for the Greater Western Sydney Giants in the Australian Football League (AFL). The first AFL Grand Final to be played in the Sunshine State nears as the finishing touches are put on the newly renovated stadium. The forward played the final six games of the season and said Carlton had suggested to him he had a future with it, but Deluca experienced how ruthless the industry is when he wasn’t offered a deal for 2020. Credit: James Brickwood But the Giants have pre-empted any raids from the 25-year-old's native Victoria with a deal that is the same length as the one newly appointed captain Stephen Coniglio signed last year. Grocery Delivery Vilnius, All Rights Reserved. Students Role In Patriotism, Gennaro Summer Pasta, GWS continue to ensure that they will be a contender for years to come, this time signing star Lachie Whitfield to a seven-year contract extension. Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out. Speaking to Cogs and Toby [Greene], knowing they're going to be here long-term, Josh as well, hopefully Zac, Jeremy and Aidan Corr - we've got a really good core of players to build a team around. An All-Australian and club best and fairest winner in 2018, Whitfield said it was an easy decision and one that enables him to dodge all the speculation that comes with playing in a contract year. Greater Western Sydney have locked away another of their biggest stars for the long term after Lachie Whitfield signed a whopping seven-year contract extension. Vince is a sports reporter for The Sydney Morning Herald. Lachie Whitfield will be at the Giants until at least the end of the 2027 season. Lachie Whitfield will be at the Giants until at least the end of the 2027 season. “I’ve known my future is in Sydney for a long time,” Whitfield said. But the Giants have pre-empted any raids from the 25-year-old's native Victoria with a deal that is the same length as the one newly appointed captain Stephen Coniglio signed last year. "His signing, along with the likes of Stephen Coniglio, Toby Greene, Nick Haynes and Harry Himmelberg, are strong indicators of the club we have built here. Michael Voss tipped to be next North Melbourne Kangaroos coach, Josh Deluca rages at Carlton after being delisted in wake of move from WA, Ben Crocker reveals father's battle with Alzheimer's disease to new teammates, First AFL Grand Final ever to be played in the Sunshine State, Ash Barty to present premiership cup if Richmond Tigers win, Voss tipped to be next North Melbourne coach. GWS continue to ensure that they will be a contender for years to come, this time signing star Lachie Whitfield to a seven-year contract extension. Utah 3rd Congressional District, But the Giants have pre-empted any raids from the 25-year-old's native Victoria with a deal that is the same length as the one newly appointed captain Stephen Coniglio signed in August. We and our partners use cookies on this site to improve our service, perform analytics, personalize advertising, measure advertising performance, and remember website preferences. ", Whitfield, who has played 133 games for the Giants, joins newly appointed captain Stephen Coniglio among the club's recent re-signings. Whitfield's signature leaves spearhead Jeremy Cameron and half-back Zac Williams as the only big-name players coming off contract next year at GWS – and both have already indicated their preference is to stay put in Sydney's west. Lachie Whitfield … "Lachie is an exceptional player and person and we had no hesitation in extending him long-term. pbc@performanceblasting.com, May God Bless And Keep You Always Meaning, Ottolenghi Flavor: A Cookbook Yotam Ottolenghi, Highest Taxed Countries In The World 2019, Patriotic Poems In English By Rabindranath Tagore. The 2012 no.1 AFL draft pick said the re-signing of teammates like new Giants captain Stephen Coniglio make him confident on the future direction of the footy club. Home » Rugby League » Lachie Whitfield signs seven-year contract extension with Giants. "We're a pretty tight team up here and that makes the decision a lot easier for me.". "I didn't help the team as I [would have] liked but I guess that's the whole way the game went – everyone probably looks back on it and says they could have done a little bit more. The Bay S01e05, "It's going to be tough, there's obviously going to be a lot of speculation for those two and probably deals from Melbourne clubs that are going to be quite enticing. Whitfield said it's the chase for success that made it an easy decision to re-sign with GWS. "Their commitments continue to solidify our strategy in continuing to grow our club and strive for success.". Authentic Thai Vegetarian Recipes, Next, GWS will be hoping Whitfield’s fellow 2020 free agents Jeremy Cameron and Zac Williams sign on the dotted line after reportedly offering the pair deals at the same time as the Victorian. You move on, you learn from it. It's a lot of pressure that you probably don't need through the year. Sega Racing Games List, Log in with your favourite social network. An All-Australian and club best and fairest winner in 2018, Whitfield said it was an easy decision and one that enables him to dodge all the speculation that comes with playing in a contract year. Number 6 Korean Drama Ending, GWS continue to ensure that they will be a contender for years to come, this time signing star Lachie Whitfield to a seven-year contract extension. Authentic Dallas Cowboys Helmet, Maternity Care Synonym, Business Tax Terms, Star Giant Lachie Whitfield has put pen to paper on a mega seven-year deal with the club. The 2012 No.1 draft pick was one of the hottest free agents … Yep that agreement Lachie had to be traded to Hawthorn after his last contract obviously is a worry. Whitfield was due to come out of contract at the end of 2020 and set to become one of the hottest free agents in the AFL. "This has been my home since I arrived five … The 25-year-old was the prize pick number one in the 2012 AFL Draft and will now be at the club until at least the age of 33 which could very well make him a one club player after putting pen to paper. Greater Western Sydney have locked away another of their biggest stars for the long term after Lachie Whitfield signed a whopping seven-year contract extension. Farm Stay Cabins, Watch the futuristic new series Brave New World only on Stan. Giants vice-captain Josh Kelly and youngsters Sam Taylor, Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper and Connor Idun have also all put pen to paper on new GWS deals recently. "I've lived over a third of my life in Sydney, so it's definitely home. "His signing, along with the likes of Stephen Coniglio, Toby Greene, Nick Haynes and Harry Himmelberg, are strong indicators of the club we have built here. "It's going to be tough, there's obviously going to be a lot of speculation for those two and probably deals from Melbourne clubs that are going to be quite enticing. Tennis champion and Richmond Tigers fan Ash Barty will present the premiership cup if her team defeats Geelong. Mansfield Nottinghamshire, England, Divisive Meaning In Malayalam, GWS continue to ensure that they will be a contender for years to come, this time signing star Lachie Whitfield to a seven-year contract extension. The biggest Aussie sports and the best from overseas. Whitfield has played 133 games for the Giants and was named in the All-Australian team in 2018. "This is an outstanding club with outstanding people and I’m excited to be here. "I didn't help the team as I [would have] liked but I guess that's the whole way the game went – everyone probably looks back on it and says they could have done a little bit more. "Their commitments continue to solidify our strategy in continuing to grow our club and strive for success.". Hamsters Breeders, Age: 26yr 2mth Games: 150 Born: July 18, 1994 Origin: Dandenong Stingrays. "Richmond played out of their skin as they did all year ," he said. They were too good for us on the day. Coniglio, from Western Australia, rebuffed several big-money offers from around the country to ink a new seven-year deal with the league's youngest club, joining the likes of Toby Greene, Nick Haynes, Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper in committing to the club. Best Uk Crime Documentaries On Youtube, 2589 Broadway, "Richmond played out of their skin, as they did all year.