I've read different articles that discuss this question. While American silver eagles are classified as bullion coins, they are often collected by numismatists. The Morgan Dollar was struck for a total of 28 different years, which also happens to be the same number of years as the American Silver Eagle Dollar has been struck, as of 2014. agree to our, The Ultimate Guide to American Silver Eagle Coins, The Present and Future of American Silver Eagle Coins, Silver American Eagle - In Congratulations Capsule, Silver American Eagle - In Happy Birthday Capsule, Silver American Eagle - In Merry Christmas Capsule, S, denoting that the coin was made in San Francisco in the period of 1986-1992, P for Philadelphia, where the minting took place between 1993 and 2000. That means over the course of just 1 year, the value of a silver eagle fell by about $5 to $7. Instead, McClure proposed that silver from the stockpile could only be sold if the silver miners were given a way to sell surplus silver to the U.S. government. Sort By. Apparently, a lot of people think this way because the popularity of the one Troy ounce American Silver Eagle coin just seems to be growing. The Silver Eagle series chock-full of key dates, low mintages, special anniversary editions, die verities, mint errors, enhanced finishes, special strikes, high-grade and special designation labels. As with the 1986 American silver eagles, these coins sell at a premium, but tend to be a bit higher than the premium charged for 1986 American silver eagles, $18 or more. 2020 © DISCLAIMER: All content within CoinWeek.com is presented for informational purposes only, with no guarantee of accuracy. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. Generic (common-date) Proof issues run about $100 for PF70 and about $70 for PF69 — the same for an ungraded Proof except for a couple of dates that run more. Palladium. Last one. Backed by the US government, the American Silver Eagle is guaranteed .999 pure silver. Free shipping on orders +$99. The obverse, based on Adolph Weinman’s legendary Walking Liberty design, will not be changed. In the 1970s, silver that had been stored in the United States’ Defense National Stockpile for years had accumulated to the point that it exceeded projected needs. . You probably have a coin that someone has modified to change the surface. Later, the Reagan administration proposed selling 75% of the stockpile, but that measure, which would have depleted the stockpile quickly, was blocked by Senator James McClure (R-ID), whose district included silver miners. I ordered a sleeve of 2020s Is it worth more or less because of the tonning. Question: What does 2011(W)(S) mean on a silver coin? I primarily collect and study U.S. coins produced during the 20th century. Bullion Strike or business strike. per page. The Seated Liberty design lasted from 1840 until 1873. This coin will only be worth a little over the silver content. This demand has caused the prices for the scarcer dates within the series to sell for much more than their silver value. These are the coins that make up the yearly proof sets issued by the U.S. Mint. TENSOR LIGHT - used by many numismatists to examine and grade coins. Question: I've been trying to find info on a 2016 American Silver Eagle, with limited antiqued finish. Gold. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. $1,199.95. As a part of the 2006 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set the mint introduced the reverse proof. Proof. If you go back further, you’ll see the value of an American silver eagle today is less than half of what it would have been worth a few years earlier. Can you tell me more information about my American Silver Eagle coin? 1986 - 2005 Rare 20th Year Anniversary SILVER EAGLE SET (20) NGC MS-68 . Production ranged between 5 - 7 million per year for most of the first decade. Question: How much over spot should I pay for 2004 Silver Eagle in a monster box, unsealed? When silver prices are $15 to $20 an ounce, the coins below are worth the following: I’m the Coin Editor here at TheFunTimesGuide. The business strike is for coins for general circulation. Answer: The mint didn't issue any antiqued finish Eagles in 2016. The grade is MS69, which is one point short of a perfect coin or MS70. Example of a professionally graded and encapsulated American Silver Eagle. You're currently reading page 1; Page 2; Page 3; Page Next; Show . For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. In a normal proof coin the field or background has a mirror-like surface and the raised surfaces (legends, lady Liberty, and the eagle) are frosted. The premium over spot for a bullion Silver Eagle ebbs and flows with a changing market. The Nixon administration proposed selling some of these holdings, but silver miners opposed the move since selling a lot of silver would depress spot prices. In june from A.H.C. They command a small premium over spot price, varying from $3-$5 on average, but it's premium will always remain. I primarily collect and study U.S. coins produced during the 20th century. The American Silver Eagle series is quickly becoming one of the longest lived dollar series in the history of United States coinage. Home of the finest rare coins, art & collectibles. The Wreck of Brother Jonathan Still Keeps Its Secrets, Countermarked Holed Coins of the Philippines in Stack’s Bowers Auction, Counterfeit Coin Detection – 1903-S Added S Morgan Dollar, Month-Long Metals and Tokens and Currency Auctions From Heritage, A Time of Transition: Spanish Coin Auction by Tauler and Fau. If you are a coin collector or silver investor, this series of coins is a must-have in your collection or silver hoard. © Copyright 2020 Rare Collectibles TV, LLC. Make sure to use the current cash or “spot” price for silver not futures price for contract delivery in an upcoming month. Most modern (after 1970) proof coin produced by the mint have frosted devices, that is, the raised surfaces of the coin appear to have non-reflective of “frosted” texture. 35 COIN COMPLETE SET SILVER AMERICAN EAGLE S IN DANSCO UNITED STATES … It is #367 of 500. By law, the private minted coin can not have a denomination, for example the Silver Eagle is a $1 coin. The flat surfaces of the coin are called the field. $24.34 $0.06. © Austin Rare Coins, Inc. Answer: This just an educated guess - If I were a buyer, I would pay around $3 over spot per coin. Proof Trade Dollars: Why Were They Made After Circulation Strikes Ended? The Silver Eagle has been issued in both business strike and proof condition. There are several private mints that produce one troy ounce 999 fine silver rounds that look very similar to the Silver Eagle. Back in 2015, intense demand for the Silver American Eagles led the Philadelphia Mint to strike more Silver Eagles. This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. A planchet is the piece of blank metal that the coin is struck upon. I'm a member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA) and the Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG) and have won multiple awards from the NLG for my work as a coin journalist. The American Silver Eagle series was introduced in 1986 and is still being minted today. A heavily frosted finish is used to complete the design on both the obverse and reverse of the coin. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. NGC/PCGS certified MS-69 and MS-70 quality as well as limited-mintage Proof Silver Eagles are also popular options. Table 2 lists the average eBay auction premium over melt value realized for American Silver Eagle Coins. Filed Under: Coin Values, Hobbies & Crafts Tagged With: Bullion Coins, Eagle Coins, Silver Coins. These coins are made with specially prepared dies and are recognized by the mirror-like surfaces. Coins with specially prepared dies are called proof coins. I'm the Coin Editor here at TheFunTimesGuide. Are you curious about what American silver eagle dollar coins are worth? Enhanced Uncirculated. They did make silver Eagles coins with a burnished finish, which are very hard to distinguish from an uncirculated business strike coins. Beautiful specimens. In November, as part of the U.S. Mint’s numismatic tributes to the victorious end of World War II, achieved through American leadership, military intervention, and allied support, the first-ever privy-marked American Silver Eagle will be issued. Question: What is the worth of an MS69 NGC graded coin? The American Silver Eagle program was then authorized through an amendment to the 1985 legislation that created the Statue of Liberty commemorative coin program. The coin contains 1.0 Troy Ounce of 9993 Fine silver. I’ve also authored nearly 1,000 articles here at The Fun Times Guide to Coins (many of them with over 50K shares), and I welcome your coin questions in the comments below! RCTV offers a 30-day money back guarantee on everything we sell. FREE Subscription to Our Precious Metals Newsletter. Please enter your username/email and password to log in.