All the above would be perfect in your resume to land a spot on The Round Table but i stand firm on the opinion that a virtue could be anything morally good in a person. But does the quote patience is a virtue  come from the Bible? Being virtuous is essential to enjoying a wholesome life and building healthy relationships! For it does vanquish, as these clerks make plain,

I need a witty comeback to the phrase "patience is a virtue"?

Is my life characterized by an eagerness for my own redemption? Why Don't You Hear God When You Need Him the Most? KJ JUSTUS used “Patience is a Virtue” as his album name, yet it was passed down from his Grandfather years earlier. Here's What You Need to Know, 8 Ways Your Husband is Silently Showing He Loves You, 10 Unexpected Reasons for Infidelity in a Marriage. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (James 1:2-4). Article

came to mind. And quite frankly, I have no idea where this phrase originated, does anybody else? Your email address will not be published. Information and translations of patience is a virtue in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web. When you’re stuck in hope, you’re waiting and expecting a certain result. So while the world around us is moving ever faster, and we see that patience is in short supply, we should also recognize that possessing the virtue of patience is a necessity for the followers of God. Patience may just be a lame excuse of those people who are lazy but if you’re driven and ambitious, there are still some things you cannot achieve overnight. came to mind. First cited in the United States in 1724 in the 'Works of Thomas Chalkley' ...". Well, patience is most commonly defined as the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset. It is about respecting others above you own time o r wants. You can find the entire, modern English version of Geoffrey Chaucer Canterbury Tales, The Franklin’s Tale, here. The most notable was a more popular contemporary of Langland, namely, Geoffrey Chaucer who said that “patience is a great virtue of perfection” in The Canterbury Tales.

Without complaint? The original author of the quote is William Langland. But good things NEVER come to those who wait. People who go from overweight to a balanced weight didn’t buy a skinny pill, and “wait” for the results. 5:22 named it as among the fruits of the Spirit, the wonder-working power of the Holy Spirit. Your email address will not be published. This has to be really good. The long lines at the McDonald’s drive-thru? ", Hebrews 9:27-28 says, “And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.”. Using an example like investing in a 401(k), too many people do not have patience resulting in bad market timing decisions, get rich schemes and lack of consistency required to reach their goal. But I love how you tried to use an unrelated example to defeat my argument Lol. The Vision of Piers Plowman is a poem that is a theological allegory of what it means to be a true Christian. Ambitious people don’t “wait” for the right circumstances to pursue their dreams and goals. Finally, Kate writes: There are many things worth waiting for, and many things we should learn to be more patient about – but there is one thing we should definitely not postpone for another second. -Honor

We have no idea when our time here will come to an end, or when Jesus Christ will return. But don’t get caught in the trap of “waiting” because no good will come of it. Fair play. I would have all the patience in the world for my girl but lose it in 5mins at work but im working on it lol. Hebrews 6:15 says, “And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.” Abraham waited patiently for God to lead him to the Promised Land – but remember that detour he took regarding the promise of an heir?

But waiting doesn’t get you anything. And quite frankly, I have no idea where this phrase originated, does anybody else? I’m embarrassed to admit that my kids have heard me groan with impatience when the red traffic light doesn’t turn green as soon as I’d like. Although you will not find the quote in the Bible, one can easily argue that it was inspired by the Bible. Waiting doesn’t change anything, action does. They don’t have time to wait. "And Now She's Gone should be at the top of your must-read list. Please help, trying to write an article. How can you say “NEVER”? , You take patience as though it is a bad thing. Thanks Nadine! The first known recording of this expression is in Piers Plowman, a narrative poem believed to have been written by William Langland between 1360 and 1387. Galatians 5:22 ESV / 29 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful. We’re all equally guilty of wanting … Waiting is a PART of patience, but there’s so much more to it than that. Answer Save. If you play the patient game without taking any action, (like many people do), how can you expect any real results? Thank you!!!!

They will take what they can get now, rather than waiting a little for something better. Virtue is synonymous with having a noble character. Many problems can be avoided if a person is patient. Our increasing ability to instantly satisfy our wants may be taking away the blessing of learning how to wait well.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. It is similar to the Latin expression, maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue). That’s the point people miss. Around the same time or shortly after Piers Plowman, Chaucer wrote in The Canterbury Tales that "Patience is a high virtue... but virtue can hurt you." Reader Reviews, A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.