The children really enjoyed learning the story, and adding actions to help them to re-tell it off by heart. I used collage and still photos to turn into a movie clip using Photostory3 for a PGCE project. What type might have wrapped itself around Claire in the story? KS3 English Skills Series One Sample Pages. Reviews welcome. I drew this storymap of a simplified version of the story: The Way Back Home, by Oliver Jeffers. Could you find out why she gave so many different reasons for hurting her knee?

contact Us . It is a treasure, so much so that it was republished with a newer cover than my copy. Copyright 2012, 2018 Catherine Friess. Can you make a new page for the book, in which Claire tells another friends an unusual way that she hurt her knee? I re-wrote a simpler, shorter version of the story to then learn using the storymap with my Year 1 class. This website and its content is subject to our Terms and "Well," said Claire, "there was a very big, bad wolf... Claire has hurt her knee so she sets off home to tell her mum all about it. Powerpoint version on the story. There are lots of characters from different stories in the book, e.g. That’s creative London WC1R 4HQ. The Story: Claire has hurt her knee so she walks home to tell Mum what happened. the big, bad wolf, the woodcutter, gigantic giant. Great for a creative … This website and its content is subject to our Terms and The Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers, a powerpoint presentation and some activities for Year 1 class. We used bricks and lego to make our own 3D class map of Claire’s walk home from the park which stimulated discussion about canals and graveyards as well as other landmarks that we might see on a walk. Helping homeless dogs throughout the UK to new loving homes. View US version . Story Snug is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to storysnug.com.

Explores ratio using bike gears and adds constraints to scaffold students to higher levels of interpretation of data. Make an animation to show one of the excuses that Claire gave for hurting her knee. Join our email newsletter to receive free updates! Created: Nov 12, 2011| Updated: Jun 25, 2014. . I like the layout of the double page spreads as they make it easy to follow the story (and allow a non reader to follow the story using the pictures). Could you make a poster to teach people basic first aid skills? registered in England (Company No 02017289) with its registered office at 26 Red Lion On the way she meets various friends and gives each friend an imaginative explanation as to how she got her injury. registered in England (Company No 02017289) with its registered office at 26 Red Lion PLease see my shop for planning unit based on this book. Design a new playground for Claire to play in. Share this fantastic story with your class and use our huge collection of classroom teaching ideas and activities! He gets back by way of a huge ladder, fixes the machines and then they both fly off. When Claire gets home she tells Mum the truth (she fell off the swing) before bursting into tears. Can you think of other books that they appear in? Read more.

Explore our library and use wonderful books in your lessons! Teach students about the gutter of the text in which the narrative flows across the page, thus making the story continuous. Claire has hurt her knee so she sets off home to tell her mum all about it. Conditions. How can we help each other if there is an accident? I would use this … I think the story is a great portrayal of the power of a child’s imagination. Conditions. The Story: Claire has hurt her knee so she walks home to tell Mum what happened.

Blog. London WC1R 4HQ. An extract of 'On the way home' by Jill Murphy. Write an opposites poem by following the template and using the given sets of opposite words. I drew this storymap of a simplified version of the story: The Way Back Home, by Oliver Jeffers. Square What might happen to the girl on the way home?

-Reshama @Stackingbooks.com, It was fun, even more fun was making the 3D map out of lego, bits of paper, playdough and anything else we could find . Square Email: info@onthewayhome.co.uk. Use the page template provided (see Resources below). Like Claire, my daughter is going through a phase where she gives wonderfully fantastical explanations about everyday occurrences and the line between truth and fantasy can be blurred at times. This resource is designed for UK teachers. Stay up to date and receive our free email newsletter! Try some role play activities involving Claire. registered in England (Company No 02017289) with its registered office at 26 Red Lion I used collage and still photos to turn into a movie clip using Photostory3 for a PGCE project. The little boy parachutes to earth to get some tools to fix the ship. Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically. a powerpoint presentation with true or false questions on about the story - good for a plenary. The Way Back Home Story Powerpoint (no rating) 0 customer reviews. Can you find out about different types of snakes? We learnt the story and used the basics to help us to write our own voyage and return story. Another great activity (if possible) is to take children on a walk from the park to the school then recreate the walk by drawing a map. The way back home. Draw out that we as readers would want to know what Shane is doing and where he is going and the structure of the text is written in a way that makes … Jill Murphy’s character, Claire, has a very vivid … Registered in England - No: 09178280 VAT No: 199650845. Can you interview her to find out how she felt at different points in the story? London WC1R 4HQ. There is a lot of speech in the story. Draw a map showing Claire's route home and the people that she met along the way.

Can you make a new page for the book, in which Claire tells another friends an unusual way that she hurt her knee? A young boy builds himself a rocket and sends himself off to Space. Can you find out about first aid. This book would make a great read aloud in a kindergarten classroom. This resource is … His spaceship breaks down, a friendly alien lands and he breaks down too. Powerpoint version on the story. London WC1R 4HQ. The pages are identically laid out with a mix of square boxes for Claire’s conversations with her friends and cloud shaped boxes show the reader what happened to her. Tes Global Ltd is Lines and paragraphs break automatically. Share it here! Use these videos as the starting point for learning in your classroom! What might happen to the girl on the way home? Find out how our bodies heal when we get hurt. Looks like a fun to read book. Square View US version . Use the page template provided. Can you change some of it into reported speech? © Teaching Ideas 1998-2020

Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Story Snug Giveaway Rules / Terms and Conditions, What Small Rabbit Heard – Sheryl Webster & Tim Warnes, Wilfred and Olbert’s Totally Wild Chase by Stephan Lomp, David Roberts’ Delightfully Different Fairy Tales illustrated by Lynn Roberts-Maloney. registered in England (Company No 02017289) with its registered office at 26 Red Lion

It’s a great book to use with pre readers for telling a story and the repetitive text also helps the beginner reader. .? The Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers, a powerpoint presentation and some activities for Year 1 class. It isn&'t perfect!!! Originally designed for Year 8 pupils and above. This story was a favourite with the children in my reception class when I first started teaching. Report a problem. Reviews welcome. You may be inspired to make something similar for your KS1 children or use as a stimulus for your KS2 children to make for KS1? Can you think of different safety features to reduce the chance of children hurting themselves? Mum’s solution, a plaster, helps to comfort her. When Claire gets home she tells Mum the truth (she fell off the swing) before bursting into tears. An extract of 'On the way home' by Jill Murphy. Mum’s solution, a plaster, helps to comfort her. Was she dropped by a wolf, a slithering snake, an enormous dragon or a hairy gorilla?!