The point about how many developers it has behind is a tricky one: one developer can make a good job, 50 developers can make a mess. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it. NeoOffice began as a project to investigate methods of creating a native port of OpenOffice.org to Mac OS X. Introduced an icon set with designs that more closely resemble typical Mac OS X icons than those of OpenOffice.org. I've been using NeoOffice for many years. [4] NeoOffice 2017 and later versions are fully based on LibreOffice. With NeoOffice, you can view, edit, and save OpenOffice documents, LibreOffice documents, and simple Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents. I was relieved that the App Store had this. NeoOffice 2015.4 vs. Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 vs. LibreOffice 5.0.4 It is a commercial fork of the free and open source OpenOffice.org that implements most of the features of OpenOffice.org, including a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation program, and graphics program, and adds some features not present in the macOS versions of LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice. The Apache OpenOffice User Forum is an user to user help and discussion forum for exchanging information and tips with other users of Apache OpenOffice, the open source office suite. Introduced access to the Mac OS X spellchecker, grammar checker, address book and media browser; users of languages not supported by the Mac OS X spellchecker can use the, Added native Mac OS X text highlighting, smoother text. The easiest answer is: NeoOffice is based on LibreOffice 4.4 + some stability and security patches (+NeoOffice specific stuff). All of these software titles (OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice, NeoOffice, and more) all stem from the original StarOffice (which was actually a proprietary office suite). [closed], Are there any usability tests regarding LibreOffice? NeoOffice is an office suite for Mac that is based on OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Listed here, in the order of appearance in the Save As dialogue box, are the file formats supported for saving documents in NeoOffice 3.1.2. Fix for bugs that cause embedded images to be lost after saving Writer or Impress documents. While this is far from on objective forum, what arguments can people here give for preferring NeoOffice to LibreOffice? The app can create and edit spreadsheets, word processing documents and presentations, offering file compatibility with most Excel, Word, and PowerPoint documents, along with Mac-native features (e.g. NeoOffice is not based in a 3 year old Libre version, as the precedent commentary says; is a fork from Star-Open Office, as well as Libre is. Versions of OpenOffice.org for Mac prior to 3.0 did not have a native Mac OS X interface; they required either X11.app or XDarwin to be installed. Neo Office has style. A style problem, I think. I have opened, changed, manipulated, created, etc several spreadsheets and this works as well as stand alone Libre Office. First NeoOffice version available in Mac App Store, OS X 10.8 minimum required. This page attempts to provide a balanced, but by no means complete, comparison of NeoOffice's performance with 2 comparable office suites - Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice - to help you make a more informed decision when evaluating office software. NeoOffice works very well in MacOs, and keep a few native features. Wih the recent crack down from Apple to only allow notarized apps to work in Catalina, I decided I needed to go thru the App Store and try Neo Office. With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app. In comparison, I work faster and more efficiently with NeoOffice; Libre always forces me to think what am I doing and how to get out. [closed], Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0. Is an excellent software. Temporary files are encrypted when FileVault is enabled. [closed], Where did you hide Online Updates ? Sun first released OpenOffice.org under both the LGPL and SISSL, later under only the LGPL, with a requirement for copyright assignment for any contributions to the main code base, which allowed Sun to create proprietary versions of the software (notably StarOffice). The project now called NeoOffice was originally dubbed "NeoOffice/J", reflecting its use of Mac OS X's Java integration to enable a native application. NeoOffice is an office suite for the macOS operating system developed by Planamesa Inc. Antidote integrates with the Writer, Calc, Impress and Draw modules of LibreOffice, OpenOffice and NeoOffice. LibreOffice forked from OpenOffice with Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems. Oh and by the way: see also following answer: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questi... Well, i've been using Neooffice in Macos since long ago, since 2005 probably. But I'd love some comparison by someone who have used both, and could make an up-to-date list that could be useful for anyone. A related project was NeoOffice/C, which was a simultaneous effort to develop a version using Apple's Cocoa APIs. Since then, the NeoOffice engineers have continually added improvements to NeoOffice that you will not find in OpenOffice or LibreOffice such as:• Native Dark Mode• NeoOffice > Open at Launch menu to open Calc or Impress instead of Writer at launch• File > Browse All Versions menu to restore previous versions of your documents• Native file locking to safely edit files in iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or network drives• Native Mac grammar checking• Native Mac text highlighting• Support for Mac Services• Native floating tool windows. By default, NeoOffice loads and saves files in the OpenDocument file format, although this can be changed by the user. However, the NeoOffice developers said that they preferred to work separately from OpenOffice.org because "coordination requires a significant amount of time. The point about how many developers it has behind is a tricky one: one developer can make a good job, 50 developers can make a mess. The styles “Default Formatting” function has been replaced by “Clear Direct Formatting.” The “Default Formating” was very useful, in fact essential in circumstances when reformatting a document which was originally badly formatted. [closed], Libre 3.5 Install/run fails - win7 home [closed], are there any plans for a new Interface (GUI)? Copyright © 2020 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. [closed], Why am I missing an Online Update ? I feel it has a more dedicated and functional interface, a more comfortable feel than Libre, which I use in a windows environment. QuickTime video support, Menus available when no documents are open, Import images from scanners and cameras, Media browser support, native floating tool windows, support for newer trackpad gestures, support for horizontal scrolling. NeoOffice is an office suite for Mac that is based on OpenOffice and LibreOffice. There were initially some attempts to resolve the licensing differences and foster more direct cooperation and code-sharing between the NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org developers. No joke, I mean it. I like the interface better in Neo Office. I have been using Libre Office Suite for several years. NeoOffice offers a superb implementation of LibreOffice that is much better-looking and more "Mac-like" than LibreOffice. Suppress Java errors when installing from an msi [closed], How do I get document information from the command line? Subsequently, both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice followed NeoOffice's lead and implemented similarly native Mac OS X versions. Eventually OpenOffice got its own port to Mac OS X, which cut back on the need for NeoOffice. In cases where NeoOffice is used to edit a document originally in a Microsoft format, NeoOffice can save to that format without loss of formatting. I did so and find that version has a major bug (it crashes when I try to update styles, either from a template or a file). Two engineers created NeoOffice in 2003 when they made OpenOffice run natively on OS X for the first time. I hope this will be changed back in the next version. It is a commercial fork of the free/open source OpenOffice.org that implements most of the features of OpenOffice.org, including a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation program, and graphics program, and adds some features not present in the macOS versions of LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice. Because this occurred after OpenOffice had a Mac OS X port, LibreOffice … [3] Current versions are based on LibreOffice 4.4. NeoOffice is an office suite for Mac that is based on OpenOffice and LibreOffice. [27], Though NeoOffice is sold commercially, the source code is still available for free under the terms of the GPL. [closed], Fresh install of 3.5 on Win 7 64 fails to start. NeoOffice is a Mac-native version from Planamesa Inc. of the LibreOffice software suite. Before you buy NeoOffice, please click on the "NeoOffice Support" link and read the installation notes. I'm assuming the latest version of LibreOffice doesn't have that bug (I'm downloading it but haven't tried it yet.) Also, users can view 10 versions of each NeoOffice Mobile file, The NeoOffice Mobile window is collapsible, and the NeoOffice Mobile menu uses less space in NeoOffice's menubar. Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps. NeoOffice 1.0 Text Document Template (.stw), NeoOffice 1.0 Spreadsheet Template (.stc), Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP Template (.xlt), OpenDocument Spreadsheet (Flat XML) (.fods), OpenDocument Presentation Template (.otp), NeoOffice 1.0 Presentation Template (.sti), Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP Template (.pot), NeoOffice 1.0 Drawing (NeoOffice Impress) (.sxd), OpenDocument Presentation (Flat XML) (.fodp), Unified Office Format presentation (.uop), This page was last edited on 29 September 2020, at 07:50. Many of these releases were preceded by a version that only Early Access Members could download; these versions were released about a month before the official release date. The "/J" suffix was dropped with version 1.2, since there was no longer another variety of NeoOffice from which to distinguish it. NeoOffice chose not to assign its code to Sun, which prevented Sun from using NeoOffice code in official OpenOffice.org versions. With NeoOffice, you can view, edit, and save OpenOffice documents, LibreOffice documents, and simple Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.