Jane Fonda, Jessica Lange, and Meryl Streep were among the actresses first considered for the part of Julia Tate, but Nicholson decided to take a chance on a virtually unknown New York actress named Mary Steenburgen. She's a magazine writer who gives up her career for love and family. Goin' South (1978) marked Jack Nicholson's second directorial effort (His first was Drive, He Said (1971), a counterculture drama set on a college campus). Earlier in the week, a job I'd been told I had in a television pilot was yanked out from under me and given to a blond with big boobs." A man could walk in, see a girl at a soda fountain, and put her on the screen." Henry Moon is an outlaw, on the run from the law. It turns Western conventions on their heads not out of satirical anger but simply to charm the pants off the audience. FOR Goin' South … The sheriff makes it very clear to Moon what the consequences of his leaving Julia will be. The actor went on to complain that his characters "were once all members of Quantrill's raiders, the original guerrilla warfare unit in America. Review by Sindt ★★★½ . "Nobody could imagine what was happening in my mind not just in terms of work but life wise. He finds that there is a post-Civil War law in the small town that any single or widowed woman can save him from the gallows by marrying him. With Jack Nicholson, Mary Steenburgen, Christopher Lloyd, John Belushi. Would this be the first film that Mary Steenburgen and Christopher Lloyd made together...??? Henry Moon is an outlaw, on the run from the law. He is captured trying to escape to Mexico and taken back to town to be hanged. Often two cameras would film at the same time, so we had as many as forty takes of each shot, from every conceivable angle. Art Direction: Agustin Ituarte   |  Choose an adventure below and discover your next favorite movie or TV show. On the one hand, Jack wanted to like the comedian, whose popularity was soaring. A sleazy but affable guard dog trainer is blackmailed to steal a manuscript for a tell-all book from one of his clients. Wanneer Henry Moon wordt opgepakt, wacht hem de doodstraf. Henry Moon: Julia, are you drunk? Julia Tate zoekt net een man om haar te helpen met haar werk in haar mijn en trouwt met Moon. Meryl Streep and Jessica Lange considered the role of Julia. In his review of the film, Newsweek writer David Ansen said, "Droll, sweet-tempered and lackadaisical, it's a shaggy dog story with Nicholson playing the shaggy dog. They must deal with his old gang, the Sheriff, the bank, and each other. It was not what fans expected from Nicholson at the time - a Western comedy? She was sitting in the casting office waiting room when Nicholson first encountered her. Drama. A corrupt border Agent decides to clean up his act when an impoverished woman's baby is put up for sale on the black market. Due to the lack of men after the Civil War, a small western town allows a bachelorette with ulterior motives to save a horse thief from the gallows by marrying him. To the annoyance of ruthless Deputy Towfield (Christopher Lloyd), Julia Tate (Mary Steenburgen) vouches for Henry and assigns him to search for gold on her land. Saved from the hangman, for a fate worse than death! The fact that this wasn't even touched on critically was disappointing to me. " Nicholson had three editors working at the same time on different Movieolas. "When I left, I was so excited I screamed for thirty floors in the elevator of the Gulf & Western Building," Steenburgen recalled. The sensuous wife of a lunch wagon proprietor and a rootless drifter begin a sordidly steamy affair and conspire to murder her Greek husband. 'Course she don't drink! Earn 125 points on every ticket you buy. grantss. Contribute. ... Synopsis. Al Ramrus (screenplay), Stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Eddie Redmayne share their 5 reasons not to miss The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix. Texas, shortly after the Civil War. "By the time something like that happens," the actress stated (in a 1982 Rolling Stone Magazine interview by Lawrence Eisenberg), "you've had so many years of elation and disappointment that you begin to treat your heart very carefully. But Braxton has just hired Lee Clayton, an infamous "regulator", to hunt down the horse thieves; one at a time. And what do you do with those people once they're now home? Film Editing: John Fitzgerald Beck Megatron and Cobra Commander fetch the Ark, and land it in Anytown, USA. Later, upon viewing the footage in dailies, Nicholson exclaimed, "That's A Keeper!". C-109m. to Rebecca take a look back at the career of Armie Hammer on and off the screen. In Europe such excess would be unthinkable, and this is perhaps why films there are more individual, though less polished." The actress was then flown to Hollywood and auditioned on the Paramount lot. But - for what it's worth - here's mine re: Goin' South: I found it very entertaining (and I'm probably fussier than most when it comes to movies). Sign up for a FANALERT® and be the first to know when tickets and other exclusives are available in your area. Freddy Gale is a seedy jeweller who has sworn to kill the drunk driver who killed his little girl. Was this review helpful to you? Cast: Jack Nicholson (Henry Moon), Mary Steenburgen (Julia Tate), Christopher Lloyd (Towfield), John Belushi (Hector), Veronica Cartwright (Hermine), Danny DeVito (Hog). I was even able to get past Nicholson's character's need for a good nose-blowin', which usually really bothers me, but, in this case, I found it utterly hilarious. Any negative comments about this flick come from the more erudite crowd which knows or looks deeper for such things. Variety | ... Goin' South is an entertaining enough western comedy with just enough strong performances and witty humor to come out satisfying. Original title: Goin' South. When I visited him in Hollywood, one was editing the final shootout, another the love scene, the third the scenes in the mine. 105 min Ironically, Nicholson had being planning to make another Western after The Missouri Breaks (1976), a project called Moon Trap, to be directed by Roman Polanski. John Herman Shaner (screenplay), Else Blangsted Dies: Acclaimed Film Music Editor For Spielberg, Huston, Pollack, Redford & Others Was 99; Holocaust Survivor Fled Germany In 1937. Sign Up now to stay up to date with all of the latest news from TCM. 24 September 2020 This makes for a very cold marriage. Al Ramrus (story), Goin' South Trailer Directed by Jack Nicholson. Get your swag on with discounted movies to stream at home, exclusive movie gear, access to advanced screenings and discounts galore. Released in United States Winter January 1, 1978. Henry Moon is captured for a capital offense by a posse when his horse quits while trying to escape to Mexico. In the end, Steenburgen won the part and a London Times reporter who later visited the Goin' South set observed, "Finding Steenburgen was a sort of thing moviemakers used to do in the good old days of West Coast Dreams. Megatron disguised it as a hillock while it was self-repairing. Henry is in luck - at the last moment Julia Tate offers to marry him, and pretty soon they are married. Charles Shyer (screenplay), In het stadje waarin hij zich bevindt blijkt alleen een wet van kracht die hem daarvan vrijwaart als hij trouwt. Julia Tate needs a man to help her work her mine and marries him. Synopsis: Henry Moon is captured for a capital offense by a posse when his horse quits while trying to escape to Mexico. MK2 Films Unveils Key Deals on Sebastien Lifshitz’s Berlinale Panorama Highlight ‘Little Girl’ (Exclusive), Else Blangsted, Acclaimed Film Music Editor and Holocaust Survivor, Dies at 99, Else Blangsted Dies: Acclaimed Film Music Editor For Spielberg, Huston, Pollack, Redford & Others Was 99; Holocaust Survivor Fled Germany In 1937. Jane Fonda had turned down the female lead. However, Henry soon discovers that Julia's motives are purely business-orientated - she needs someone to work the mine on her property. But not every critic hated Goin' South. Goin' South. Overview of Goin' South, 1978, directed by Jack Nicholson, with Jack Nicholson, John Belushi, Anne Ramsey, at Turner Classic Movies Share this: on Twitter on Facebook on Google+ When you look at some of the names in the cast list of Jack Nicholson’s 1978 Western comedy Goin’ South, you have to … when you purchase 3 participating Suave products 9/1-10/31 at Walmart or Walmart.com. Due to the lack of men after the Civil War, a small western town allows a bachelorette with ulterior motives to save a horse thief from the gallows by marrying him. When a mine-owner in need of cheap labor steps up to the task, the battle of wills begins. A strange young woman lives in a fantasy world where she can never grow up. De tekst is beschikbaar onder de licentie. Comedy, Western 105 Synopsis. Sheriff Kyle, you know I don't drink. To view this content, please use one of the following compatible browsers: A horse thief escapes hanging by marrying a proper woman who expects him to work her gold mine. Contents[show] Synopsis We open somewhere over Canada, with Megatron leading Cobra to the location of the Ark as part of their technology exchange. | Rancher David Braxton has horses, and a daughter, worth stealing. The kettle shown in close up is a plain water kettle and has no whistle. When Henry is riding on horseback to catch the stagecoach carrying Julia, the horse loses its footing and plows into a ditch throwing Henry several feet in the air. Any negative comments about this flick come from the more erudite crowd which knows or looks deeper for such things. Julia Tate needs a man to help her work her mine and marries him. Belushi blustered and posed, but he was fundamentally sweet, the kind of guy Nicholson liked to take under his wing....However, Belushi had a short fuse.