Scares me, a lot.” Another reason he backs Trump? When Trump tweeted at ‘The Squad’ (Omar, Ocasio-Cortez, Pressley and Tlaib) to ‘go back’ to their countries of origin, he was roundly denounced as racist. [27] This address has become the destination of wealthy businessmen, entertainers, and senior officials from the former Soviet Union, and with their purchase of units at the Oceana, area housing prices have risen. [7], The years just before and following the Great Depression brought with them a neighborhood consisting mostly of first- and second-generation Jewish-Americans and, later, Holocaust concentration camp survivors. We get it for my nephew all the time. I don't know why you'd want that stuff, but most russian stores sell that. He says that Soviet-born immigrants in the US predominantly voted Republican in the past three presidential elections. That’s the general attitude of Jewish ‘Russians’ in America toward Russia. Some think that Trump would also be a strong leader like Putin, some scoff at reports that Trump and Putin share mutual admiration, some believe that Trump will change his mind once he is in office and familiarizes himself with Russian politics, while some believe that as a tough negotiator he will be able to deal with Putin from a position of strength. [1] It is patrolled by the 60th Precinct of the New York City Police Department. In 2017, ‘Mr Trump’s Russian Base Beyond the Kremlin’, a New York Times column by then-editorial board member Francis X. Clines, attempted to tie the ‘Russians’ of Brighton to the Russians of their fevered Trump collusion dreams. Soviet émigrés in the United States overwhelmingly support the Republican candidate, setting them apart from other immigrant communities. “For the past five years, I see a lot of new people come to this neighborhood. [4] Politically, Brighton Beach is represented by the New York City Council's 48th District. [citation needed]The major Russian criminal element in Brighton Beach was the international Russian mafia group, known as vor v zakone or "vory," and the first vory crime boss in Brighton Beach was Evsei Agron, who controlled the area's crime during the 1970s and 1980s until his death in 1985. What better place to get comfort food than” more, “Really liked the food here a little bit pricey but nonetheless I enjoyed everything I ate. He does not really like either candidate, but feels that given a choice he will elect to vote for Trump. Yes, Brighton Beach is a land frozen in time. “Bernie has experience and stuff, he understands the people. [8] The resort was given the name "Brighton Beach" in 1878 by Henry C. Murphy and a group of businessmen, who chose to name as an allusion to the English resort town of Brighton. After” more, “Dirty store, need to clean up!!! Sirota says she is unsure of how things got this way, but she feels certain that putting Donald Trump in the White House would fix it. [52] The United States Postal Service operates the Brighton Station post office at 3157 Coney Island Avenue.[53]. Directed by David Gutnik. [6], Brighton Beach was located on sandy terrain, and before development in the 1860s, had mostly farms. The community gets the blowback from people eager to conflate Russians over there with Russians over here and the recent news just extends that. But anyone pointing to the ‘Russia collusion’ story as evidence of that love has it exactly wrong. Because I pay $70,000 in taxes,” he said, playing with the metal bracelet in his hand as he sat sipping coffee, facing the water. 253 Ezra Jack Keats International School/The Magnet School of Multicultural Humanities, CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (, Brooklyn, Flatbush, and Coney Island Railway, New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, Rachel Carson High School for Coastal Studies, The Leon M. Goldstein High School for the Sciences, Learn how and when to remove this template message, Weather Is Good on Deribasovskaya, It Rains Again on Brighton Beach, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Table PL-P5 NTA: Total Population and Persons Per Acre - New York City Neighborhood Tabulation Areas*, 2010, Current City Council Districts for Kings County, "Coney Island Scenes Shift, Never Change", "Brighton Beach: Old World mentality, New World reality", "Early Rapid Transit in Brooklyn, 1878–1913", "ANOTHER CONEY ISLAND RAILROAD. [citation needed] The infamous vor Vyacheslav Ivankov, who dominated the Brighton Beach underworld until his arrest in 1995, arrived during this wave. The immigrants of Brighton Beach had children and those children lived their American dream. But the overwhelming mindset of this community was once summarized on bumper stickers in the Heartland: ‘America, Love It or Leave It’. Russia and the US are two of the biggest countries, so we need to be talking to them.”. This article is in The Spectator’s November 2019 US edition.