Check out the documentation from Google on how to setup Google Tag Manager. If you are a marketer or entrepreneur, Google Tag Manager is one of those tools that can make your life easier. Google Tag Manager is a free tool that allows you manage and deploy marketing tags (snippets of code or tracking pixels) on your website (or mobile app) without having to modify the code. Or if they watched your video? You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –, All in One Data Science Bundle (360+ Courses, 50+ projects). Hey Amanda, GTM is injecting code directly on the site, which means while unlikely, there is a possibility could break your website. Sounds easy right? They tell Tag Manager when to do what you want it to do. Although the idea of empowering marketers to easily do technical stuff on websites was/is very appealing, the fallout of not fully understanding the technical implications of code insertion and tagging can be detrimental to page structure and load time performance.” “One of my favorites is content grouping in Google Analytics combined with Google Tag Manager. All Rights Reserved. “Google Tag Manager has made the process of managing analytics and marketing tags easier than ever before. Thank you! NOte: GTM snippet must be placed on each and every page of your site.google cautions you not put to code in a hidden iframe and not to use in any other tag management system while using GTM system. Why should I use Google Tag Manager? All reporting (conversion reports, custom segments, ecommerce sales, time on page, bounce rate, engagement reports, etc…) are done in Google Analytics. Although the idea of empowering marketers to easily do technical stuff on websites was/is very appealing, the fallout of not fully understanding the technical implications of code insertion and tagging can be detrimental to page structure and load time performance.” – Angie Schottmuller, Conversion Optimizer, “Google Tag Manager helps make tag management simple, easy and reliable by allowing marketers and webmasters to deploy website tags all in one place.”. Some of it’s pretty simple, others are really complicated. min-width: 250px; I would ask your developer for some help on that one, Mike! We strive to educate and collaborate with like-minded businesses to make a difference environmentally and socially. With Google Tag Manager, you are able to send events to Google Analytics. You can choose if you want to keep track of one page of your site or all of it, depending on how you set it up in GTM. } It’s great to know where the deep water is when you haven’t yet gotten good enough to swim in it. If you want to set up event tracking in Google Tag Manager, you’ll need some knowledge about what “events” are, how Google Analytics works, what data you can track with events, what the reports look like in Google Analytics and how to name your categories, actions and labels. Managing tags across multiple sites and projects can become tedious, I am sure you will thank GTM every now and then. Find the submit button on the upper right corner and click on it. Or, complex enhanced ecommerce product and promotion tracking. To create an event viewable in Google Analytics (Behavior > Events), within Google Tag Manager you’ll need to: Whether you are an entrepreneur, a seasoned business owner or a marketer, Google Tag Manager can be an integral part of your utility belt. My developer added Google analytics code to my site. *Note: Some form submissions are tricky to track with Google Analytics alone, especially those that use Javascript or Ajax. Although it is “easy” to manage multiple tags in GTM, there is a learning curve. In other words, once you install Google Tag Manager’s script on your website, you’ll be able to quickly install other Google tags like Google Analytics, or third party scripts or pixels like HotJar or Facebook’s Pixel. There is no dedicated Google support team for the Tag Manager tool. click here if you don’t know where to find your GA ID, How much does it cost to run a crowdfunding campaign. Thanks. For instance, when my users login I can start the chat widget with their names. You can then see which elements of your blog posts (e.g. There are three main parts to Google Tag Manager: Tags are snippets of code or tracking pixels from third-party tools. p.blogdate { That is, understanding even a little bit of JavaScript (JS) can help marketers better utilize GTM. For clients, it’s all over the board what we’re tracking. This is a helpful post, Amanda! without having to slow down the site. Paste the Facebook Pixel in the white canvas. 1. One of the main reasons to use it is that you’ll no longer need to rely on your developer to install code to your site, nor waste time going to the backend and doing it yourself. I totally agree. Select “Page View” and the “Some Page Views” button. We chose offsite link, click and click URL. The most basic type of constant variable that you can create in GTM is the Google Analytics UA number (the tracking ID number). That is an excellent way to describe GTM. If you are a first time user, this will read like gibberish. It’s a interesting article and brief knowledge about GTM. There are no reports or any way to do analysis in GTM. Probably most are happy with Google analytics unless willing to learn tag manager properly. It looks something like this: Go back to your Google Tag Manager workspace. It’s mostly me, Andy and some of our developers. You can customize the data that is sent to Analytics. Once you get over the learning curve, what you can do in Google Tag Manager is pretty amazing. This is really very helpful. The most successful GTM accounts have both marketing and technical resources involved with configuration, maintenance and updates.” – Charles Farina, Analytics Pros, @CharlesFarina. Perhaps the best thing about Google Tag Manager is that it works extremely well with Google Analytics. By signing up you agree to our Privacy Policy. With GTM, you can add multiple analytics tags, tracking codes, etc. This tag manager is quite complex from what i read above but its well explained above. Traditionally, you’d need to install the bit of code on all the pages, but with Google Tag Manager, you’ll be able to tell the bit of code to fire wherever and whenever you need it. .blogimg { Wikipedia describes Tag Manager as a tool that is used to manage JavaScript and HTML Tags on web pages. If you’re bored reading this right now, you won’t have any issues managing your tags. I remember the first time I fiddled with GTM; I, too, was disappointed that it wasn’t as “simple” as Google had let on. Check out our case studies and learn more about how we’ve achieved stellar results for our clients. width: 100%; Ohhhh I’m curious too! Thanks Amanda! All Tags can be controlled at one place: This prevents having duplicate tags on the same page and having to update tags by using FTP or logging in to the server file management system. In GTM, choose the category name, action and label. Very useful tool I guess if we know how to use it. Now, adding multiple tracking codes and tags to your site will soon become tedious, add to this that websites keep changing without code revisions and theme updates and soon you will be juggling dozens of tracking codes across multiple sites. I may get run over in the comments section for saying this, but I’m standing my ground. You should be able to see the GTM bar like the one below throughout your transaction. You must have some technical knowledge, even for the basic setup. text-transform: uppercase; h3.blogtitle { Google Tag Manager lets you track them easily with event listeners. Let’s answer the most common questions around Google Tag Manager. I will read it again and maybe give it a try. Want to fire tags on a page view, link click or is it custom? Once you have added your snippet code to your site, GTM is ready to go. font-size:14px; After you create a container, you’ll get two codes that need to be added to a website (BTW, here’s a useful guide on how to properly install Google Tag Manager codes on a website). How are you using it for SEO purposes? We’ll follow almost the same steps as setting up the Facebook Pixel but with a small caveat; we’ll use another trigger. Not quite ready to talk with sales or just here to learn? You can do it just using one responsive dashboard instead of having to get your hands dirty in code. Flexibility to play around and test out almost anything you want. Whoo hoo!”. Generally, marketers use GTM to add the following types of codes: Hadoop, Data Science, Statistics & others. As an example, we’ll use the purchase event. Love from India! position: absolute; In Google Analytics go to Behavior > Events > Top Events > Offsite link. An example of some events you can track include clicks (i.e. Then I customized analytics using GTM to reduce bounce rate on my site. Great intro post! My bounce rate is mainly 0.00% on many pages and a few are showing 7% and other 20-30%. Great comment! font-family: Montserrat; Google Tag Manager is not “easy” to use without some technical knowledge or training (courses or self-taught). If not, enter preview mode (next to the submit button), go back to your website and do a test transaction. /* ----------------------------------------- */ GTM becomes a godsend in this situation. Check “Enable overriding settings in this tag”. Let’s say we want to track all outbound links on the website. max-height:300px; display: flex; In other words, it won’t be able to serve your ads to the audience that is likely to perform the action you need at the lowest cost. border-radius: 0px 10px 0px 0px; adding the code directly into the html head. Usually involving several other third-party outside vendors. Thanks a lot for the post. Yes, if you’re running your GA tag through Tag Manager, you’ll want to remove your GA code from your website. If you’re just getting started with Google Tag Manager or any other tag manager the best thing you can do for yourself is to start learning javascript via code academy and asking for help in the sources cited in this article. It took me time to get used to it. Create a FREE GTM account if you don’t have one here. } As I don’t have a confirmation page I was trying to workout how to do this and then stumbled across your post. I’ve watched 4-6 Youtube videos telling menhow to set Tag Manager up and none of them has clearly explained what exactly GTM is and what it’s used for. fbq(‘track’, ‘Purchase’); This is especially important in the case when you are dealing with more than one client at once as you will probably have many sites to track and analyze at once and you will want to save as much time as possible to get real work done. /* Content Template: loop-item-in-related-posts-loop-by-category - end */