Sylvester as a boys' name is pronounced sil-VEST-ter.
and the Italian Stallion hero of the Rocky and Rambo movies (who was born Michael)--and yet we think it just might be ready to move further back into the mainstream. ASSOCIATED WITH woods (tree), cat (lion), modern, Sylvester is a very prominent first name for males (#396 out of 1220, Top 32%) and also a very prominent surname for all people (#1784 out of 150436, Top 1%). Sylvester Stallone, actor. "Also, for some reason I called my dad this as a joke when I was like 12. *We display top occupations by gender to maintain their historical accuracy during times when men and women often performed different jobs. Would you like to follow Sylvester? If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Sylvester, try our name generator. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sylvester&oldid=975628945, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Sylvester, a donkey in the children's book, Sylvester Rax, an antagonist in the 1985 animated show, Sylvester McMonkey McBean, a character in the Dr. Seuss book, Sylvester "Sylvie" Ashling, a side character in the mini series "Epithet Erased", This page was last edited on 29 August 2020, at 15:50. It is of Latin origin, and the meaning of Sylvester is "of the woods". The Sylvester family name was found in the USA, the UK, Canada, and Scotland between 1840 and 1920. Classical Latin spells this with i. Try the

Silvestre is a French form.

Silvester, Silvestre and Vester are the prominent related forms of Sylvester appearing in the Top 2000. Sylvester is a fictional character, an anthropomorphic tuxedo cat in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series of cartoons. Sylvester is a name derived from the Latin adjective silvestris meaning "wooded" or "wild", which derives from the noun silva meaning "woodland". Some less common occupations for Americans named Sylvester were Truck Driver and Maid, View Census data for Sylvester | Data not to scale. Trivia tidbit--in the 1935 movie Sylvia Scarlett, the young Katharine Hepburn disguises herself as a boy named Sylvester--until she meets Cary Grant! The name Sylvester is a boy's name of English, Latin origin meaning "wood, forest". There are 32,000 immigration records available for the last name Sylvester. Sylvester ▼ as a boys' name is pronounced sil-VEST-ter. The name Sylvester is a boy's name of English, Latin origin meaning "wood, forest". We've conducted research scouring millions of historical references to determine the importance of people in History. Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart, musician, Middle name of Alex S. Smuckers, the worst hood in town, in the comic blog The Greasers of Hazzick Flats. Sly, Vet, Syl, Sy, Cy, Silver. Silvestio There are 23,000 military records available for the last name Sylvester. "A puddy tat! (2018 U.S. SSA RECORDS). Early History of the Sylvester family This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sylvester research. Sivestro, The name is associated with a cartoon cat in modern times.

The SSDI is a searchable database of more than 70 million names. Play Video. This is an English and German patronymic or baptismal surname meaning “the son of Silvester”, a personal (first) name that derives from the Latin adjective silvestris, meaning “wooded” or “wild”, which in turn derives from the word silva, meaning “woodland”, a name born by three popes, including St. Sylvester (died 335 AD), an Italian, known for perhaps baptizing Emperor Constantine (the first Christian … After the Classical period y came to be pronounced as i. Spellings with Sylv- in place of Silv- date from … I especially like the nickname Sly and could easily see it on a child. Sylvester Stallone, actor Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart, musician. You've only scratched the surface of Sylvester family history. Sylvester was at its height in the 1920s, when it was in the Top 200, and hung on in the lower rungs of the ladder until 1994. The only reason why it's not first on my list is because of the lack of good nicknames.

Silvestro Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press. Sylvester McCoy. The name Sylvester means From The Forest and is of English origin. This was the name of three popes, including Saint Silvester I who supposedly baptized the first Christian Roman emperor, Constantine the Great. Cool Classic Boy Names — 100+ below the Top 1000, Arbor Day Names: If you love the tree but not the name.

Passenger lists are your ticket to knowing when your ancestors arrived in the USA, and how they made the journey - from the ship name to ports of arrival and departure. Sylvester is a name derived from the Latin adjective silvestris meaning "wooded" or "wild", which derives from the noun silva meaning "woodland". As an English name, Silvester (or Sylvester) has been in use since the Middle Ages, though it became less common after the Protestant Reformation. Lately the name has been most visible as a surname--that of Sue Sylvester on Glee. In Classical Latin y represented a separate sound distinct from i, not a native Latin sound but one used in transcriptions of foreign words. Sylvester in song, story & screen. The last name Sylvester ranks 1,785 th in popularity in terms in the United Status as of the 2000 Census. In 1840 there were 78 Sylvester families living in Massachusetts.

To rate names on Nameberry, please register for an account or log in to an existing account. PART OF WILD SKY MEDIA | Family & Parenting. The name ranks particularly high in the following seven states: Massachusetts, Louisiana, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Delaware, and Vermont. What does "Most Famous" mean? They are considered the most important person in history born with the first name of Sylvester.

Silvestre is a French form.

Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. Within census records, you can often find information like name of household members, ages, birthplaces, residences, and occupations. Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. I love this name - the silvery sound, the energy, and the mischievous feel. For the veterans among your Sylvester ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions. Their Zodiac sign is ♋Cancer. Silvester See also Silvanus.
Please add to or correct the information provided by other members of the Nameberry community.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z. You can see how Sylvester families moved over time by selecting different census years. This is currently the usual English spelling of the name. Like you, I'll just keep hanging on to it for a later son in case I can sway DH's opinion!

In 1840 there were 78 Sylvester families living in Massachusetts. The most Sylvester families were found in the USA in 1880. Know a Sylvester? I really wish I could use this name one day but every time I mention it people scoff at it and mention the Looney Toons. Massachusetts had the highest population of Sylvester families in 1840. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Sylvester census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more. From a Roman name meaning "of the forest" from Latin silva "wood, forest". The surname Sylvester was first found in Essex, but the earliest record of the name was Sylvester, a medieval Bishop of Worcester (1216-1218.) These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Sylvester.