She was the children’s librarian in Yakima, Washington, until she married Clarence Cleary and moved to California. Ramona came into her own in the 1968 Ramona the Pest, where she was the star character. Cleary later recalled in an article in Top of the News that this was "a dingy room filled with shabby leather-covered chairs and smelling of stale cigar smoke," but that she was amazed at the variety of books available for children. Beverly Cleary was born on April 12, 1916 in McMinnville, Oregon, USA as Beverly Atlee Bunn. She also wrote books for older, teenaged readers about teen romance, but these were not as well loved as her books for younger readers. Born Beverly Bunn on April 12, 1916 in McMinnville, Oregon, Cleary was the only daughter of Chester Lloyd and Mable Atlee Bunn and a descendant of Oregon pioneers. Birthplace : McMinnville, Oregon, U.S. And another one, which commented, "You're my number one author in the universe.". It was one of the most exciting days of my life." Date of birth : 1916-04-12

Publicity Listings At the same time, she became consumed with fears that an earthquake would hit, that her father would be hurt, or that she would die.

The Clearys are the parents of twins, now grown.

Beverly was excited about the move, and looked forward to playing with other children. Beverly’s hobbies are travel and needlework.

Otis Spofford was based on a "lively" boy who sat across the aisle from her in sixth grade, she told Drennan, and her best friend "appears in assorted books in various disguises."

Bored and discouraged, she decided reading and school were miserable experiences. © 2010 BrowseBiography.com - Your Website for informations, John Legend collaborates with Pharrell, Q-Tip and Hit-Boy for, Jeff Bezos buys The Washington Post though he won't be leading, Quote from Pope Francis 'Who Am I to Judge? She wrote in Top of the News, "When I finished the chapter I found I had ideas for another chapter and at the end of two months I had a whole book about Henry Huggins and his dog Ribsy. These fears receded somewhat between first and second grade, but she still refused to read except while in school. Other Works Last modified : 2011-01-21

The writings of Beverly Cleary include realistic and humorous portraits of American children.

", Pflieger wrote, "Material for Cleary's books has come from her own life, from the nostalgic glow of Yamhill … and the dark fears of her early years in Portland … to her [adolescent romances], which inform the difficult relationships in some of her works for adolescents." She told Drennan, "I feel sometimes that [in children's books] there are more and more grim problems, but I don't know that I want to burden third-and fourth-graders with them. The following year she earned a BA in librarianship from the University of Washington-Seattle.

Cleary drew on some of her own experiences to create Ramona, but said she often used people she knew to create other characters. She attended the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Washington. She was previously married to Clarence Cleary.

By the third grade she had conquered reading and spent much of her childhood either with books or on her way to and from the public library.

A Struggling Reader … [and] any book in which education was disguised like a pill in a spoonful of jelly." I've known her since we were in the first grade. Born Beverly Bunn on April 12, 1916 in McMinnville, Oregon, Cleary was the only daughter of Chester Lloyd and Mable Atlee Bunn and a descendant of Oregon pioneers. When I feel sad, I pick up one of your books and it makes me feel better." She didn't warn her editor that she was working on a new Ramona book, but simply handed the manuscript to her when the editor visited her at home.

I heard somebody call out, 'Ramona!' When children ask Beverly where she finds her ideas, she replies, “From my own experience and from the world around me.” Henry Huggins, written when she was in her early thirties, was her first attempt at writing. When the family moved to Portland, where Beverly attended grammar school and high school, she soon found herself in the low reading circle, an experience that has given her sympathy for the problems of struggling readers. ", Cleary went on to write many more books about Henry and other children in his neighborhood, including Ellen Tebbits, Otis Spofford, and Ramona and her older sister Beezus. She then got a job as children's librarian in Yakima, Washington, where she learned to tell stories to children and found out what stories children liked to read and hear. Beverly Cleary  is an American author of more than 30 books for young adults and children. This suggestion struck home. They have gained critical acclaim as "classics" of children's literature. Beverly Cleary was born on April 12, 1916 in McMinnville, Oregon, USA as Beverly Atlee Bunn. Advice to Children

Date of death : - The editor, Barbara Lalicki, told Heather Vogel Frederick in Publishers Weekly, "I had no idea what it was, and the curiosity was killing me.

As a People Weekly writer commented, "Cleary had written a story that was simply a delightful slice of life. There, Beverly learned to love books. I don't think we've ever exchanged a cross word. Yamhill had no library; her mother arranged for the State Library to send books to Yamhill, and created a small lending area in a lodge room over the Yamhill Bank.

Beverly Cleary was born on April 12, 1916 in McMinnville, Oregon, and lived on a farm in Yamhill, a town so small it had no library. View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro, People from showbusiness born before 1920 that are still alive, (1940 -

Cleary earned a BA in English at the University of California-Berkeley in 1938. They moved to Oakland, California, where they had twins, Marianne Elisabeth and Malcolm James.

They're true to the period [the 1950s].". In this story about two ordinary children and their adventures, Cleary found release and happiness.

Her mother arranged with the State Library to have books sent to Yamhill and acted as librarian in a lodge room upstairs over a bank. She said of her friend, "She's a very warm and friendly person; the sort of person everybody likes.

Category : Famous Figures '. She told a writer for Publishers Weekly, "With rising elation, I read on, I read all afternoon and evening, and by bedtime I had read not only The Dutch Twins but The Swiss Twins as well. All of these qualities would later be apparent in her books. She began writing on January 2. There she specialized in library work with children. The writings of Beverly Cleary include realistic and humorous portraits of American children.

Ramona was back with all the immediacy—it was just as if 15 years hadn't gone by. After graduation from junior college in Ontario, California, and the University of California at Berkeley, Beverly entered the School of Librarianship at the University of Washington, Seattle. Cleary writes in longhand on yellow legal pads, and often begins books by writing scenes at the middle or the end of the story.

The idea appealed to her, and she decided that someday she would write the books she longed to read, but was unable to find on the library shelves — funny stories about her neighborhood and the sort of children she knew. She said, "Because we never have any sharp pencils," so the next day he brought home a pencil sharpener.

In 1940 she married Clarence T. Cleary, whom she had met in college.

She does not outline them before writing; she simply dives in and plays with the characters. Won The Laura Ingalls Wilder Award in 1975. ", Cleary told Drennan, "Children should learn that reading is pleasure, not just something that teachers make you do in school. "I realized that if I was ever going to write a book, this was the time to do it," she later wrote. She still receives hundreds of letters each week from fans, mostly schoolchildren.

Her mother arranged with the State Library to have books sent to Yamhill and acted as librarian in a lodge room upstairs over a bank. I bitterly resented this intrusion into my life. In her autobiography A Girl from Yamhill, she wrote that living there taught her "that the world was a safe and beautiful place, where children were treated with kindness, patience, and tolerance." If her readers' response is any indication, she has succeeded admirably in showing them just that. ", Cleary has occasionally been criticized because her books don't address contemporary problems or social ills. Credited as : Author and novelist, children's book writer. An article in People Weekly quoted one, which sums up the impact of Cleary's work on children: "I read everything you ever wrote.

Since then she has begun all her books on that same date. In 1999, Cleary presented a new Ramona story in Ramona's World. After the war, she worked in the children's department of a Berkeley bookstore. In Horn Book, Barbara Chatton noted that "A third-grader whose family was going through a painful divorce read and reread the Ramona books because they were stories about the way her family used to be, and she could laugh and remember; and, she said wisely, 'They comfort me."'. She grew up on an 80-acre farm in Yamhill, Oregon, where her uncle was mayor and her father was on the town council.

When Cleary was in seventh grade, a teacher suggested that she write books for children.

Beverly Cleary was born on April 12, 1916 in McMinnville, Oregon, and lived on a farm in Yamhill, a town so small it had no library. Of all of Cleary's characters, Ramona would become a favorite of readers. The book opened the door for her to read more books for pleasure. Career Path Although she was excited by the big city and by the immense children's room in the Portland Library, Cleary felt out of place in school, particularly after a bout of chicken pox left her behind the other students. In addition, Mrs. Cleary’s books have received more than thirty-five statewide awards based on the direct votes of her young readers. |  She is a writer, known for Ramona and Beezus (2010), ABC Weekend Specials (1977) and Ramona (1988). There, Beverly learned to love books. "I was driving back to my hotel and got caught in a traffic jam, so I opened it up and read the first few lines and thought, 'Wow!'

Although she had planned to write a book about a little girl who wanted to write, the story turned out to be that of a boy who would be allowed to keep a stray dog if he could find a way to get it home on the bus. so I just named her Ramona." In her Regina Medal acceptance speech, she spoke bitterly about a book that she thought was a "real" story, but which turned out to be a phonics lesson in the end. Nationality : American

By the time she got back to school after her illness, the class had been divided into good readers, next-best readers, and worst readers, and Cleary was in the bottom group. In Twentieth-Century Authors, Cathryn M. Mercier commented about her young adult novels, "[They] do not possess the timeless qualities of the Ramona and Henry books … [and] do not speak to contemporary young adults." She is a writer, known for Ramona and Beezus (2010), ABC Weekend Specials (1977) and Ramona (1988). I feel it's important to get [children] to enjoy writing."