If you are in a house, though, he is probably long gone. Unlike hamsters or other small pets, Corn Snakes can live to be upwards of six to eight years. I think you should get as large a cage as possible, but corn snakes do well in small containers as long as they are alone and let out to feed and exercise. On this website, we’ve talked a lot about the pros and cons of snake ownership, but how does that apply to a specific breed of snake like the corn snake? So let me tell you what it takes to keep a corn snake as a pet. To download or print this care sheet – Click link: Corn Snake Care Sheet. A common choice is aspen shavings, which can be bought online or in pet shops. Corn snakes are bred to be docile. I loved handling him, letting the public stroke him, and talking about him. Another pro that I saw frequently listed on various snake websites was the small size of a Corn Snake. Corn snakes are generally docile and are easy to tame. Question: How would you protect the heat bulb from animals in the cage? Question: Our corn snake has escaped. An average rule of thumb is to invest in a tank of vivarium that’s one-third of their total length. I do not know why...never had a bad experience with them or anything. Although they are domestic pets, most corn snakes are still given live food. I have wanted to keep snakes for many years but always felt it seemed complicated. This can be provided in a solid bowl that the snake is unable to tip over. That's just something you have to accept -- scratch that, something you have to embrace -- if you want to keep a corn snake for a pet. These are some of the most common questions I've received over the years. When you bring your new Corn Snake home, it might not be used to being handled and not feel comfortable with you picking it up. Embora Pets is the ultimate resource for learning everything about your new pet, or information when trying to find the right one. If these needs are not met, your snake can become sick and may even die. They can also tolerate being handled for long periods of time. These infections can either be superficial or located deep in the skin on your snake. The referees can sometimes be the overlooked ones of the match. Only snakes that are easy-to-handle and make good pets are bred each generation. As they grow, they will move on to adult-sized mice. Answer: I have not read any advice regarding this but I feel that it could be risky due to warmth allowing bacteria to grow. So I thought I would offer my views on what makes Pantherophis guttatus one of the best species to keep as a pet. Many Corn Snakes enjoy hiding and climbing in elevated areas. If you wish to help your snake, placing a larger bowl of water into their vivarium will raise the humidity and help loosen their old skin. The corn snake is widely regarded as one of the best snakes to keep as a pet. Make sure it has no cuts or scrapes. However, Corn Snakes can come in a variety of morphs (colors and patterns) that make it extremely attractive. Corn snakes are a small-sized colubrid snake that make a good choice for anyone who would like to keep a snake as a pet. Linda Tanner, [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons. When choosing your snake, pick one that has clear eyes and no signs of mites or illness. These are easy and cheap to replace when needed. Life Span: 10-15 years. He is only going to do this a couple of times a year. On a few occasions, Corn Snakes have been known to live upwards of twelve years. If any old skin is left, it can be carefully removed with gentle rubbing or tweezers while bathing the snake in warm water. The picture on the right shows one of the more interesting aspects of snake care -- feeding time. They spend most of their time on the ground but are able and happy to have the chance to climb as well. Make sure that you provide a dish in the cage and always keep it clean. But the corn snake is definitely at the top of the list -- especially for first-time keepers. If they are very hungry, or if someone were to clamp down on them and they felt threatened and unable to move, they could bite. There are special “rocks” for sale at pet shops that allow a snake to hide under. Claire is interested in pet snakes and enjoys sharing advice with other snake owners, especially beginners. Do not use a microwave to defrost frozen rodents and do not prepare them in the same area that you prepare food. The temperature must remain around 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit in order to keep your snake comfortable and happy. If they are handled before they are finished digesting, they may vomit up their last meal. And in this context, the meat comes from mice and rats. They are small to medium-sized snakes, so housing them is fairly simple. Since baby corn snakes only need to be fed about every 5 days and adults about once a week, this is not a great problem. I think it is best to start off with a hatchling. Maintenance: Clean the entire enclosure on a weekly basis, and be sure to change the water twice a week. Fungal infections are something your Corn Snake could potentially contract. While a few of these colors are naturally occurring in the wild, often, you will have to go to a breeder who has taken care to produce specific color morphs. Other than that, there is really no grooming. Signs of Salmonella infection can include mild to severe diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, and vomiting. Though you can opt to get some cheaper bedding like newspapers, you will have to deal with the ugliness of the material (if this is something that bothers you). If you want to learn more about this subject, be sure to download my e-book. However, this may appeal to some potential pet owners who are looking for a pet but not wanting to commit to a walking or playtime routine. These can be spot-cleaned as needed, and the entirety of the shavings should replaced every 4–6 weeks. Frozen/thawed rodents, such as Mack’s Natural Reptile Food Frozen Rodents, are always best because live rodents may harm your snake. If you are a retailer and would like to receive wholesale pricing from Reptiles by Mack, please Click Here to see what quality reptiles can do for your bottom line! Corn Snakes are great snakes if you like being able to hold your snake instead of just looking at them through the glass of their terrarium. Answer: The price varies with the species, the size, the color, pattern, and where you will be buying (a pet shop, wholesaler, or a herp show, etc.).