I would strongly recommend shipping via UPS to Canada. How should I describe my holiday food shipments?Holiday food shipments must be described as one of the following: Are you sending a homemade item?If you are shipping a homemade item, you must record the shippers and recipients name on the FedEx International Air Waybill and CommerciaI Invoice. The shipping rate is determined by the zone that the U.S. origin zip code falls in. Hence, you can reach out to more U.S. addresses by shipping with USPS. I need to ship off my Sekrit Santa package to my giftee, who lives in Canada. The gift exemption for eligible gifts imported into Canada is CAD$60 or less, per gift, even if a single gift has more than one recipient (e.g., gift to a family). Learn more about shipping to Canada via FedEx. Learn more about Signature Confirmation. UPS will quite probably route it through their duty/bonding agent...who will slap you with a fee of approx 39$ regardless of the value of the package (the recipient has to pay this)Send it via USPS. However, if the item is worth more than CAD$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item's full value. USPS is authorized to place parcels into a customer’s mailbox. I'm not sure if it got delayed at customs or it was just an isolated incident, but I could have driven it up there myself and come back in the same amount of time. In fact, very few USPS services include tracking to the destination, also known as Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International service (E-DelCon for short). Additional Information on International Shipping Regulations. Arrival at Delivery Office: This scan indicates that the item was scanned at the final postal unit where delivery of the item will take place. One of the great difficulties of running an online business in Canada is the high cost of shipping. When you mail presents and other non-commercial presents to friends or relatives in Canada, consider the rules about duties and taxes before arriving at the shipping retailer … Additional Information on Mailing Safety Matches. In some countries, the shipment must be sent person to person – with no company involvement or indication of involvement on the shipping documentation. Sending gifts to Canada by mail can incur taxes and fees, just as mailing things to people in other countries does. A friend in the US just sent me a package to the UK via USPS airmail letter service (why they call it that when it's a parcel I don't know). Permissible perishable items are sent at the mailer’s own risk. Packages can take, Sellers who want to save on packaging costs will be glad to know that USPS offers, 2 to 3 days to deliver after Chit Chats hands off your. If the gift is worth more than CAD$60, the amount over CAD$60 is subject to duties and taxes (e.g., if a relative sends you a gift worth CAD$200, you must pay any applicable duty plus the GST, HST or QST on CAD$140). All rights reserved Plus, you can schedule a USPS ® pickup from your home or office. Glues are categorized as “adhesives” in the below resources. If it is addressed to or from an individual c/o their company name and address, it is no longer considered a personal shipment. Each gift in the shipment must be clearly identified as one gift. Only licensed manufacturers and dealers may mail or receive handguns. USPS® is the only shipping company that ships cremated remains (human or pet ashes). IMO, you should write the actual contents of the package on it and decorate it with "Sekrit Santa" labels that way if they open the package they will realize it really is a gift and you won't pay duties. You can choose from various couriers when shipping your packages to your customers in Canada. Packages are shipped via USPS to the Canada Post (Canada's postal service) which handles the final delivery of the package. USPS Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, & Perishable Mail and the International Mail Manual provide full explanations on USPS regulations of prohibited and restricted items. Items sent by a business, company or association. That is often the case when carriers add surcharges to shipments. Address Your International Mail. If you receive an imported gift by courier and it's worth CAD$60 or less, it is duty and tax exempt. From secure and fast shipping to fixed carrier fees and free flat rate boxes*, USPS can help online merchants overcome the challenges of shipping merchandise to their U.S. customer base. Please check your reference number or try again later – it takes 24 hours for them to appear in our system. While it's an extra fee, you'll get the extra assurance of who received the package. ALERT: You may not ship hand sanitizer or flammable sanitizing wipes overseas. Read our affiliate link policy. Other Guidelines on Shipping & Packaging Cremated Remains. In the description field of the air waybill, it must say "food, for personal consumption only" or "food, unsolicited gift" and the description of what is being sent in the shipment. With such strict delivery standards, online merchants can have peace of mind knowing that orders will reach their customers. No customers going to buy our products with that high shipping fee. While the recipient will in all likelihood get dinged for the taxes regardless of which carrier is used, at least he (she?) Ad Choices, Tribus: Between cheese steaks and the Amish, Tribus: What does this button do? For the love of god, use the postal system. The destination country website (USPS doesn’t provide website addresses of individual countries) US Customs & Border Protection For Postal Service™ inbound customs information, refer to the International Mail Manual (IMM) for individual country listings. Foreign countries also have their own prohibitions and restrictions regulating the shipping and receipt of certain items. Below … Definitely the way to go. Although you can drop these animals at any Post Office™ location, they are only shipped when the right transportation is available. However, if the package is worth more than CAD$60, you must pay duty and tax on the amount over $60 CAN. I've had numerous items shipped from the US to Canada (>50) and Fedex has always delivered on time. This cuts down on your profit margins and can even make customers decide to not buy your product if the shipping cost is too high. Additional Information on Domestic Regulations & Guidelines Applicable to International Shipping Along with the distance to the Canadian desti- nation, the USPS also takes shipping routes into consideration to determine the shipping rate. Do NOT use UPS if you like to hang on to your money. Packing your package securely and marking it as required. USPS ® is the only shipping company that ships cremated remains (human or pet ashes). Visit our U.S. shipping page to learn more about shipping with USPS from Canada. the United States Postal Service (USPS). Perishable foodstuffs and any food item requiring temperature control from international express service. I just shipped a set of goalie pads to Ontario with no problem. Not only is this method cheaper than Canada Post, UPS and FedEx, it also allows Canadian online merchants to enjoy all the benefits listed above. USPS was the best by far. Learn more about First Class Package Service. The product description, as well as the following statement: “Homemade - For personal consumption,” should appear on the FedEx International Air Waybill and CommerciaI Invoice (e.g., Homemade chocolate cookies, for personal consumption) as well.What should I do if the food item was purchased at a store or online in a foreign country?The shippers and recipients name, product description and the statement “For personal consumption” should appear on the FedEx International Air Waybill and Commercial Invoice (e.g., Chocolate Truffles – for personal consumption). USPS. Import and export of alcoholic beverage shipments direct to consumers, only licensee to licensee shipments are acceptable. 20 million parcels delivered. © 2020 Chit Chats. Use the resources here to help you make sure that your shipment complies with USPS and foreign country regulations. Anyone have a new shipping solution to ship from US to Canada. http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5790...700973045#2700973045I can't believe it was 4 years ago that I wrote this...Should be still relevant. Rates for UPS Standard to Canada do not include the customs clearance, duties, tax, or handling fees. UPS, FedEx, and USPS all ship to Canada. I once paid $70 duty on a hat. Federal Express Canada Corporation. Packages are shipped via USPS to the Canada Post (Canada's postal service) which handles the final delivery of the package. Ars may earn compensation on sales from links on this site. If you have government clients, shipping with USPS from Canada is essential. With the USPS Loyalty Program, small businesses can now earn credits for Priority Mail ® and Priority Mail Express ® labels printed with Click-N-Ship. You are required to use a properly sealed funeral urn as the inner primary container. Most glues are flammable and combustible and may not be mailed internationally. This amount varies from country to country. Flammable or combustible paint and paint-related items may not be shipped internationally. If you’re shipping within the U.S., see Domestic Shipping Prohibitions & Restrictions. USPS Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, & Perishable Mail When sending medicine or drugs through the mail, mailers and shippers must know the characteristics of the items they are sending and treat them correctly. Perishable items are materials that can deteriorate in the mail, such as live animals, food, and plants. If you want to be sure that a package was delivered to a person, you can also add Signature Confirmation to these services. In addition, USPS delivers parcels to a customer’s doorstep. You are required to use a properly sealed funeral urn as the inner primary container. When shipping to the U.S., however, you have the option of using the United States Postal Service (USPS). When a service that does not provide E-DelCon is used, the package can only be tracked in the United States. In the UK anything of value over £18 is hit for VAT (17.5%) plus the applicable duty (typically around 6%) plus a handling fee, which is greater for a courier company the Royal Mail.If it's a gift, that limit rises, but only to £36.BTW, the duty is charged not only on the item's value, but on the cost of shipping it too, although for the assessment of it is over the limit or not, is based on the value of the goods only.In no country should the duty chargeable be like throwing darts at a board. My wife shipped some skis by UPS (the box was too long for USPS). I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble that you've had shipping to Canada. Learn more about shipping to Canada via USPS, Learn more at the Canada Border Services Agency, Learn more about shipping to Canada via UPS. Order free cremated remains shipping supplies on The Postal Store®. Additional Regulations on Shipping Live Animals Internationally. I would strongly recommend shipping via UPS to Canada. USPS is also the only way to ship parcels to U.S. government addresses. When shipping to APO/FPO/DPO locations in foreign countries, USPS treats the mail as domestic mail, but shipping is still subject to those foreign countries’ prohibitions and restrictions. If it is addressed to or from an individual c/o their company name and address, it is no longer considered a personal shipment. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Tracking oversees is a little less straight forward than domestic tracking. #3: No Hidden Fees or Surcharges Use Click-N-Ship ® to pay for postage and print a shipping label from your printer. Are you shipping gifts to the U.S. or internationally during the holidays? UPS: The cheapest way to send a package to Canada through UPS is by UPS Standard, which delivers to all Canadian provinces directly to your recipient's door.