I live in Yuma, AZ so anyone who knows this region should know what would be found here. How does this even happen? This Western Diamondback Rattlesnake is a good boy and following the rules with a clearly-marked tail banded at about 1:1 ratio of white to black. This will be the only way to observe the supraocular scales. Can anyone here help to settle this debate? The tail banding is one feature that can be a clue to help someone unfamiliar with both species differentiate between them, but is not enough to make an absolute identification. However, it can be much more complex than that. The black rings are narrower than the light rings, and often offset. While everyone was looking up at the 3 Sisters, we were living on top of the 3 Sisters. He was a pretty good size, so I don't think he was a youngster, and he had 7 rattles - we always carry guns - I still have his rattle. He told me to NOT open the door or come outside, well I opened the door anyways and left the screen shut. In general, snakes are quite active during the monsoon season, but it's not all that hard to find them roaming at night in May (when it almost never rains in Arizona). A light stripe extends from behind the eye diagonally to beyond the end of the jaw. I thought this was strange, and had never heard of it before, so I asked an expert in Willcox, and he gave me a website that had some unusual traits to tell the difference between rattlers, and darned if that wasn't in there (I would LOVE to find that website again). I'm being treated like I'm stupid, LOL! ↳   History - Legends & Lore of the Superstitions, http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Snakes-Subp ... atrox.html, http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Snakes-Subp ... latus.html. As he was walking across our patio to his truck he heard a 'rattle' and discovered that he had just passed a rattlesnake coiled in front of our BBQ grill, a measly 2 feet away from him. Here's my question. Do we need to worry about being outside in the daytime right now or do the snakes come out just at night? Any help would be deeply appreciated! by reptilist » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:44 pm. Northern Mohave Rattlesnake - Crotalus scutulatus scutulatus : Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake - Crotalus atrox: There are 2 large scales between the supraoculars : There are 4 or more small scales between supraoculars. by cateyes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm, Post Copyright © 2020, Rattlesnake Solutions LLC. The white rings on the tail of the Mojave rattlesnake are wider than the black rings, and the dark diamond pattern fades as it reaches the tail. Since it's not full on summer yet I'm unsure of this. © 2000 - document.write((new Date()).getFullYear()); Pictorial Key to Venomous Species in United States. by coazon de oro » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:08 pm, Post Rattlesnake in a house! I usually have to tromp around in used mouse litter to get that kind of action. But, I don't know if its just the "greens" or if it was a regional thing, or, just a mojave rattler thing. by reptilist » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:44 pm, Post AZ ROC 321123, Arizona pool owners: avoid making a rattlesnake guest house. The field marks below can help differentiate these two similar species of rattlesnake where their ranges overlap in California. by Mrs.Oroblanco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:24 am, Post I had also put a spotlight on it to get a good look. He called me from the pickup a minute after walking out the door.