After 17 seasons in the AFL, Saint Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt has announced he will retire at the conclusion of the 2017 season. Are the Suns about to overtake the Giants? Round Table: Should free agency compensation be scrapped? Riewoldt was the No. ', 'I'm really proud that I'm doing so with a litre or two of petrol left in the tank rather than being run out on the side of the road with a foot up, begging for help.'. - Six-time club best and fairest Nick Riewoldt. The champion forward currently sits third on St Kilda's all-time goal kicking list with 713 goals. I'm really proud that I'm doing so with a litre or two of petrol left in the tank, rather than being run out on the side of the road with the hood up, begging for help," he said. "I couldn't be more convinced that the time is right for me to retire and step aside, and I'm really proud that I'm doing so with a leader or two left in the team.". A CONTENT Nick Riewoldt "couldn't be more convinced" the time is right to retire, after the St Kilda champion announced on Monday his illustrious career would finish at season's end. "Contracts ... do weigh on a player's mind during the course of a season - especially when you don't have one for the next year," Riewoldt wrote. With his wife Catherine, sons James and George, parents Fiona and Joe and the family of his brother Alex watching on, as well as the entire club, Riewoldt declared at Seaford the time was right. “Same deal (for Montagna), let’s see how you’re going physically, there’s no doubt that it’s not great timing, I think he said as much,’’ Richardson said. The 11th-placed Saints are 9-9 ahead of their clash against West Coast at Etihad Stadium on Sunday, which Riewoldt said he would line up in. He won the NAB AFL Rising Star Award in 2002, when he averaged 15 disposals, eight marks and a goal per game. Round Table: Does free agency need fixing? You can access more content with Watch AFL. We’ll get him back next week, all going well in terms of the plan and he’ll be better for that break,’’ Saints coach Alan Richardson said. We are no longer accepting comments on this article. "When it's all melted down, what we are left with is reality," Riewoldt told ESPN of his decision. Under Ross Lyon's tenure, Riewoldt was made co-captain with Lenny Hayes and Luke Ball in 2007 before taking on the role by himself the following year, with the Saints falling short of Hawthorn in a preliminary final. here. Led marks last year with 222. More @superfooty. 'This has been my job for 17 years, but the time is right for me to step aside.'. "I couldn't be more convinced that the time is right for me to retire. REPLAY RIEWOLDT’S PRESS CONFERENCE LIFE IN THE VIDEO PLAYER ABOVE, THE BEST? “The St Kilda footy club’s been my home for half of my life, which is just incredible to think about. What a saint! Time: allow 25 minutes to complete this activity, Curriculum links: English, Big Write, VCOP, News Pty Limited Copyright © 2020. Riewoldt led the Saints for a club-record 11 seasons and is third on the all-time list of games as captain (220), with only Carlton's Stephen Kernahan (226) and Essendon's Dick Reynolds (224) ahead of him. By Josh Hanrahan For Daily Mail Australia, Published: 02:53 EDT, 31 July 2017 | Updated: 03:58 EDT, 31 July 2017. In 2015 Nick’s sister Maddie died at the age of 26 from a rare form of blood cancer. The answer is no. - Most marks in a season with 256, in 2004. In honour of Maddie, the Riewoldt family established Maddie Reiwoldt’s Vision to raise money for research into new treatments. Nick Riewoldt is set to announce his retirement.Credit:AAP. A father-of-two Riewoldt has worked in the AFL media and with the 'Maddie's Vision' charity in recent years, but said he doesn't know what the future holds. “So I’m really excited about the future and really grateful for the opportunity that I’ve had to represent the football club and to do something that I have just loved … this has been my job for 17 years, but the time is right for me to step aside.”, Riewoldt thanked his family and former coaches, saying he would now spend time “repaying* those closest to me.”. Moments before today’s press conference, Riewoldt sent a video to Saints members where he delivered the news. Kids News explainer: Why and when do we celebrate Easter and what do the traditions mean? Drafted with the number one pick overall in the 2000 AFL draft, Riewoldt went on to establish himself as one of the greatest forwards in the modern era. He was the St Kilda captain in 2005 and then again from 2007 until 2016. Legendary footballer and cancer ambassador Nick Riewoldt, 34, announces he will retire at end of 2017 - as he hopes for fairytale finish with St Kilda Riewoldt will play the Saints’ final four matches of the season and will finish on 337 matches unless St Kilda makes a miraculous finals appearance. Great player even better person #ThanksRooey. Though there were fears after the opening round, when he hyperextended his right knee against Melbourne and had to be stretchered off, that his career was in danger, he missed just one game. 'Rooey' will go down as one the greatest Saints. "Everyone wants security and as a footballer you often don't have it. Six times most marks in a season. “I’ll always be a part of that family and I’m incredibly grateful for that as well.”, Major announcement from Saints today. Research Nick Riewoldt’s career and prepare a fact file on him. Extension: Use the words you’ve brainstormed to create some sentences. “I just wanted to take this opportunity to inform you that 2017 will be my last year playing footy with the St Kilda Football Club and in the AFL,” he said. * Recruited by St Kilda from the Southport (Qld) with the priority No.1 selection, 2000 national draft, * 333 senior games for St Kilda, second behind Robert Harvey's 383, * Five-time All-Australian (captain 2009, vice-captain 2014). The want for my mind to keep defying and continuing but, no, the time is right and clearly the body plays a part in that," Riewoldt said. Nick Riewoldt might not have won a premiership in three visits to the big dance, but he will retire without any regrets and with the knowledge he left … The 33-year-old is sidelined with a right hamstring injury that means he may have played the last of his 287 games. Riewoldt said he was proud of his 17-year career that included six best-and-fairest awards, five All-Australian guernseys and the 2002 AFL Rising Star Award, but the time was right to hang up the boots. “The way that I’ve been embraced and my family’s been embraced and welcomed into the St Kilda family by all of you is something that I’ll just be forever grateful for. A father-of-two Riewoldt has worked in the AFL media and with the 'Maddie's Vision' charity in recent years, but said he doesn't know what the future holds. Legendary footballer and cancer ambassador Nick Riewoldt, 34, announces he will retire at end of 2017 - as he hopes for fairytale finish with St Kilda Nick Riewoldt has retire… This whole process was no different.