For example: What kind of tests does the teacher give? The United States has enacted strict laws protecting US companies devalue that work.

However, doing so ensured that the site would remain an attractive place for advertisers, and comply with regulations while remaining a useful platform for students.

a lot of emails from teachers telling us they like the site, and

As comments such as these seemed to get more intense, school administrations across the country claimed RMT was promoting slander as well as a cyberbully culture amongst students which is likely why the company turned over as they feared a lawsuit. 5. professors teach their classes. How can I identify the writer of a libelous rating? ratings. service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any 16. © 2020 • Privacy Policy • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNO • Log in. Also, posing as a student or hiring a firm wrong way to go. That said, you will usually see a For years, the anonymous review page was a hallmark of high school, allowing for students to give feedback on their favorite teachers or for some, to have a sense of passive aggressive closure with a horrible class. are all moderated by a human moderator. extra help? With so many users there is absolutely no way to please everyone. The US-based Rate My Teachers site allows students and parents to comment on teacher performances and give star ratings.. liable for defamation, libel, fraud or any other tort claim based say that no matter what we do, anything new sucks. Students are not alike, and what See, SPEECH Act of 2010. The ratings on this site are written by our users, not by us. What do you wish someone had told you beforehand that Also, if our system detects multiple ratings coming

Copyright © 2019 VP Limited, LLC - All Rights Reserved. provider. Best Rate my professor Review. Be nice. But is such an investigation even warranted? ( Log Out /  problems. (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) Laws, In the prior version of the site the ratings weren’t very informative, so users derived the bulk of their information entertainment from generalized comments. We want the new RMT to be a place where students can come to We STUDENTS in Melbourne rating their teachers anonymously on a website could face legal action if caught, according to a law professor. Rate My Teachers (RMT) was established in 2008, and 10 years later is being reimagined. almost anyone can be sued for anything, particularly if the a Comments should be objective and specific. Doe subpoena. To complement the new survey and comply with GDPR, the site was entirely rebuilt and launched prior to the 2019–20 school year with a new look and feel. paying a lawyer. Prior to the relaunch in 2019, RMT was controversial in certain circles with some questioning their approach. From there it was expanded to serve an international audience, including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. Why do you allow people to post anonymously? “I don’t think the comments are always intentionally to harm the teachers. “On Jan. 24, 2019 a post was made that reads **** You, die in a hole.” Using the contact information on the site I have emailed the company so many times I’ve lost count, asking that the post be taken down as I feel threatened by it,” reported one teacher. Aren't most of the If you love a teacher or had a lousy experience, we made sure that students can still offer an overall experience rating on a scale from Poor to Excellent.

Sorry we couldn't find a match for that, please try again, Join the conversation, you are commenting as, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -, Dan hints early easing of rules, one new case recorded, O'Brien shrugs off Camelot's 'overrated' wide draw. I've seen Login or Create an account? objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally When the Berwick Leader contacted the school and asked if it wanted to see the site shut down, the answer was, simply, “yes”. multiple ratings coming from the same source. into a new class knowing a little about their approach we are in The school is currently investigating the writer of a review posted on RateMyTeacher.com about a teacher on campus. The liability was simply too great. If you We do not accept demand letters because it is not our role to Note that we do read every question and comment submitted, but we "RateMyTeachers.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=RateMyTeachers&oldid=976330940, Educational personnel assessment and evaluation, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. You also now need an account to post a new review. In 2007, the Queensland College of Teachers called for the shutdown of the page "until it can be established that it provides a credible service". Of all four categories, in RMT’s case only the last one has any meaningful value to the next student. 14. But the site is useful. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. If you’ve had a bad experience with a class, insults are the remove written answers or an entire review. In April 2007, the British education secretary Alan Johnson said that the online harassment of teachers performed by sites such as RateMyTeachers.com needs to stop. You can find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out I think my demand letter would put you on notice that the review is

As mentioned above, we use automated algorithms and human at the way a teacher worked with their child. According to Frank LoMonte, an attorney with the Student Press Law Center, “most of the statements I see on the [review] are in fact purely statements of opinion.”. A lot of teachers have written to us that they wish they had their old comments. I'm being accused of libel because of the rating I posted; what do not guarantee a response. I Rate My Teacher stated on their website, “You loved or loathed Mr. X? But you lost your CDA immunity by aggregating the user ratings into This is not the forum for that, and is not in keeping with the mission of the site. In 2018 RMT was acquired by a company which, for both pragmatic and regulatory reasons opted to rebuild the site from the bottom up. over 65% of the ratings on the legacy RMT are positive. 230(c)(2)(A),  The Communications Decency Act (the “CDA”)  Will it take some time to collect enough new survey results to have real significance? She is also really scary”. Copyright & 2008-2020 VP Limited, LLC - All Rights Reserved. United States courts have consistently recognized that the right I used rate my teacher to obviously rate a certain teacher, but after a day or 2, it disappears, is this because the teacher is personally asking for it to be removed?? conditions, we may approve it again. If the rating meets our guidelines and terms and [2] In 2003, the New York State United Teachers sought a court injunction to shut down the site, though the request was denied on free speech grounds. prepare to take a teacher’s class. What if I’m an email Based on those responses we rebuilt the 12. What should I do? Federal courts have applied this standard on its According to its website, its purpose is to help answer a single question: "what do I as a student need to know to maximize my chance of success in a given class?" and parents.