Early years we shed tears, you held me through the pain, You were my only ray of sunshine when life was full of rain, You’re my constant, the one I could rely on from the start, Now I hold you in my heart like these memories in my brain. Now I hold you in my heart like these memories in my brain. But ask Watford captain Troy Deeney about his idol and he will not cite legends Pele, Messi or Ronaldo. His big break came when he was spotted playing for local side Chelmsley Town by the chief scout of Division Two side Walsall who offered him a trial. Despite the turmoil, Troy remained close to his father and was devastated when Paul Anthony died suddenly in 2012 after a short battle with cancer of the oesophagus. “Working three jobs and raising kids alone, which is what my Mum did. Two months later he came back. Premier League footballers aren’t ­typically known for their spontaneous poetic outpourings. He wrote with the tweet: "Dear #Momsy, I’ve never been good with my words, but this poem is the least I can do to show you my appreciation for making me the man I am today. For the striker, the person he believes is most worthy of a ­pedestal is his hard-working mum Emma Deeney. Troy — whose two other siblings Kayden and Joel, both 13, are from his ­parents’ subsequent relationships — said: “Dad wanted her to get back together with him. I kept jumping in front of him, trying to make him stop, only to take a punch myself and fall to the floor. That’s what saved us. Deeney will no doubt feel disappointed that he missed out, but that didn't stop him showing generosity to the woman who raised him. In 2017 he gave her a new car for her birthday and also bought her a house. The Telegraph values your comments but kindly requests all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful. While Troy admits he was a “total mummy’s boy” at home, at school he liked to play the class clown and was expelled at 14. It connected but I weren’t praying like they were praying. This portal is not a newspaper as it is updated without periodicity. My mum was adamant that she wouldn’t. He had a reputation and he wasn’t used to being told no. “After I got out and returned to Watford I knew I had to make it work. That’s difficult.”. “I wanted to do something that shows her the kind of man I am trying to become, so that’s why I made the video. I turned things around because of the work ethic she had passed on to me. Working more than one job, time always divided. Working more than one job, time always divided. Troy Dooney says his mum ‘is a warrior and an angel’ for working three jobs while raising kids aloneCredit: Troy Deeney, Troy has recorded a video poem as a gift to his hard-working mum for Mother’s DayCredit: Troy Deeney. The most insightful comments on all subjects will be published daily in dedicated articles. You never look down, you treat everyone as equals. I turned things around because of the work ethic she had passed on to me. CHEATING football star Troy Deeney has been exposed as a love rat by his furious wife after he dumped her for a model. Deeney’s mother, by contrast, was “an angel”, someone who “protects me to this day”. He said: “When I started I was reluctant. When Troy was a child, Paul Anthony was in and out of prison — or on “business trips” as they were explained to him as a youngster. He kept telling her that she needed to come home. “He had never been violent to us before but during that incident he reacted badly and he attacked me and my mum. For the striker, the person he believes is most worthy of a ­pedestal is his hard-working mum Emma Deeney. “From a young age she showed me what hard work was and how you should never give up. But his talent shone through and he joined the club. Even then he had to be dragged out of bed to attend and he played with a hangover. Troy Dooney says his mum 'is a warrior and an angel' for working three jobs while raising kids alone Credit: Troy Deeney 6 Troy has recorded a video poem as a gift to his hard-working mum for Mother's Day Credit: Troy Deeney When Troy was a child, Paul Anthony was in and out of prison — or on “business trips” as they were explained to him as a youngster. Troy Deeney showed off his softer side after the bustling Watford striker bought his mum a new 4x4 BMW. But she never showed us. Deeney describes his father, Paul Anthony Burke, picking him up with his brother and sister and going to his mother’s new house. Troy Dooney says his mum 'is a warrior and an angel' for working three jobs while raising kids alone Credit: Troy Deeney 6 Troy has recorded a video poem as a gift to his hard-working mum for Mother's Day Credit: Troy Deeney YOU were here before I made it, here before the fame. Entitled ‘Momsy’, the poem charts Deeney’s relationship with his mother, Emma, from challenging beginnings through adolescence and adulthood, to scoring at Wembley for Watford. € * 29 Haz 1988, Birmingham, Ingiltere He was born to his mother, Emma Deeney and father, Paul Anthony Burke. UFC's wildest body transformations including Michelle Waterson & Conor McGregor, Tiger Woods 'in best place he's ever been' after years of hell with scandals, Arsenal news LIVE: Follow latest Arsenal transfer gossip, news and updates, Rapper Snoop Dogg congratulates WWE's Sasha Banks on Raw Women's title win, VanZant hits the beach as bare-knuckle boxing debut is delayed until February, © 2020 THE SUN, US, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | TERMS OF USE | PRIVACY | YOUR AD CHOICES | SITEMAP, Comments are subject to our community guidelines, which can be viewed, Troy Dooney says his mum 'is a warrior and an angel' for working three jobs while raising kids alone, Troy has recorded a video poem as a gift to his hard-working mum for Mother's Day, Troy Deeney has struggled with alcohol, gambling and his mental health in the past, Troy Dooney is dating graphic designer Alisha Hosannah, Emma raised Troy, his brother Ellis and sister Sasha, in a towel block in Solihull which used to be Europe's largest council estate, Troy credits turning his life around after prison thanks to the work ethic his mum passed on to him, From Kolasinac at Arsenal to Troy Deeney at Watford – the hardest players at every Premier League club. Four years later he signed for Watford. He said: “I have never really said this stuff out loud to my mum. Our journalists will try to respond by joining the threads when they can to create a true meeting of independent Premium. You kept food on the table, kept siblings united. At the weekend we used to go leafletting. You’re my constant, the one I could rely on from the start. He found out in March and died in May. Premier League footballers aren’t ­typically known for their spontaneous poetic outpourings. He also described being told to seek help when he used drinking to cope with his past.