Have fun! Garter Snake Habitat and Behavior: Garter snakes have adapted to live in all regions of North America, even as far north as Alaska. Varying according to species, garters are generally striped against a plain or checkered background color. These clusters of Garter snakes can number into the hundreds. The best foods for a captive are live minnows and earthworms. Garter snakes don't eat cat food, or insects, and they seldom eat rodents. And our last one lived for 11 years. You can give them some fish, but vary their diet & you'll have a very healthy snake. Get your answers by asking now. Found in a variety of habitats, they are often the first snake a youngster sees and catches. How Often do Garter Snakes Eat? They can find other snakes by following their pheromone-scented trails. Male and female skin pheromones are so different as to be immediately distinguishable. Some types of garter snakes have developed exceptional swimming capabilities due to their close proximity to water or moisture-dense environments. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Some have black scales, others brown, tan, red, yellow, and more. However, male garter snakes sometimes produce both male and female pheromones. Garter snakes can go 2 … Garter snakes don’t live for as long as other snakes, yet they can still live for several years if treated well. Most species weigh less than a pound. stay away from fish if possible because many contain harmful parasitses that will poison your snake, I always fed our Garter Snake on white bait dusted with vitamin B. You can sign in to vote the answer. The species of Garter snake that live in colder climates spend their winters in hibernation. Living between 3 to 10 years in captivity, these snakes generally do not grow to any great size, reaching about three feet with a very narrow girth. How do you think about the answers? Varying according to species, garters are generally striped against a plain or checkered background color. Garter snakes (genus Thamnophis) are one of the most common of snakes. Garter snakes will travel great distances to hibernate in their particular communal den. Though all the different species share the same typical snake-shaped body, these creatures vary in size and coloration. :-(. Very interesting answers so far- all of which are INCORRECT! Juvenile garter snakes (0-2 years) should be fed once every 2-3 days, and adults can be fed once a week. My tomato stays in same place and doesn't move!? Navy SEAL in charge of bin Laden raid endorses Biden, Woman, 9 months pregnant, easily breaks 6-minute mile, 50 Cent appears to endorse Trump over Biden, 'Secret weapon' gives GOP hope for Election Day, Rush Limbaugh says cancer going in 'wrong direction', The New Yorker suspends Toobin after Zoom incident, Blue wave would rain $2.5 trillion stimulus: Analyst, With just days to go in the campaign, Trump rips toilets, SSC Tuatara smashes speed record, hits 331 mph, SCOTUS blocks GOP effort to limit mail-in voting. Rat Snakes Don't feed them an all fish diet, as was suggested above , as this can cause a severe vitamin deficiency in the snake. These rather common snakes can live up to 10 yrs., with most living around 5-7yrs. Adults range in size from about one foot long to nearly five feet in length. Color and patterns vary among species. This causes the transfer of heat to them in kleptothermy, which is an advantage immediately after hibern… Hey I'm here for the first time. I hope to give something back to the community and help others too. The young snakes eat earthworms, small fish(minnows), small frogs, tadpoles and are rather easy to convert to pre-killed mice of the correct size as they grow in size. Found in a variety of habitats, they are often the first snake a youngster sees and catches. Most captive garter snakes live for 6-10 years. Some have reached 15 years, although this is rare. They gather in large groups and hibernate together in hidden dens. I really want a snake but my roomates are terrified of them. \"In most species, the stripes are yellowish or greenish, but this varies with species and region.”Some garter snakes h… ? Snakes in colder climates will hibernate, commonly in groups. Garter snakes (genus Thamnophis) are one of the most common of snakes. Often delicately or subtly colored, even those with vivid red or yellow stripes or yellow ventral scales are quick to blend in with their background in the wild. do not feed your garter snake gold fish! What is the difference between a venomous snake and a poisonous snake? They aren't a really big snake, but can grow over 4ft easily & are rather muscular and move quickly. Garter snakes prefer tall grass, marshland (near water), forested areas. Many species have lines, checkers, or other markings. It’s uncommon for snakes to overeat. Garter snakes come in a wide variety of colors depending on the species, but “most have three longitudinal stripes — one in the center of the back and one on each lower side of the body,\" according to herpetologist Jeff Beane, collections manager of amphibians and reptiles at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. They typically have three stripes running down the length of their bodies, have heads that are larger than their necks, and can grow up to 54 inches. While in these environments, snakes may seek shelter in tree hollows, under logs, leaf litter, underground holes, rock outcroppings and/or burrows that have been abandoned by other animals . Garter Snakes. These can affect the lifespan of the snake: Transmissible illnesses. Garter snakes have complex systems of pheromonal communication. During the mating season, this ability fools other males into attempting to mate with them. And do they make good pets? How Long Can Garter Snake Go Without Eating? I came across this question and I find the answers really helpful. How long are snakes pregnant and how long for the eggs to hatch in general. I figured a little garter snake would be cool. Yes They do make very good pets and good luck with finding a new pet the only down to them is that you have to feed them goldfish! Garter snakes can be found in most regions across North America other than particularly arid areas of the southwest. Still have questions?