On the other hand, I don’t always recommend having separate GTM containers. So, you have probably landed on this article because you are working with multiple domains (e.g. However, sometimes the question comes up and there is a clear solution that does not involve multiple containers. Of course, sometimes you will want to fire a tag only on one website but the scale of such “unique” tracking implementations will probably be pretty low. is pushed to the dataLayer). To make matters worse, they are also pushing a variable called ‘name’ to the dataLayer, with the name of the dealership. Let us know! The Google Tag Manager container snippet is a small piece of JavaScript and non-JavaScript code that you paste into your pages. First of all, this blog post will not talk about multiple GTM containers on the same page. Having the previous example in mind, always think about how different those websites (on different domains or subdomains are). Here’s what the process looks like if each website has its own GTM container (even though they all are being tracked with the same Google Analytics Property, same Facebook Pixel, etc. You have a tag that you want to fire on all pages of the domain1.com (but not on the domain2.com). www.oursite.com The containers associated with a Tag Manager account. This does not happen on ALL single-page applications but is quite often nonetheless. In this guide, I’ll show you how to handle Google Tag Manager on multiple domains. //www.google.com/tools/feedback/metric/report, Lookup table variables and RegEx table variables. Far from an efficient and agile work process! Users will get to each page through the mother company one so my goal is to track when users get to from page A to page B (let's say). This series focuses specifically on Google’s new Tag Manager, providing an overview of the tool, helpful tips, hints, and learnings we have found. Thanks so much for this! Remove any items from your container that are no longer needed. One account, multiple containers. A container is comprised of a set of macros, rules and tags. Valid values include: The fingerprint of the GTM Container as computed at storage time. Most organizations will set up a single Tag Manager account for all of their containers. A container is comprised of a set of macros, rules and tags. Was amid deep research and planning an implementation for a client on this. For example, your agency or vendor may ask you to put their GTM container on your site. For a list of methods for this resource, see the end of this page. But you need to fire it only on one. Analytics Mania - Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics Blog |. Then you need to copy the same changes to containers B and C. You can try to do that manually (oh no!). Thank you for the article. Unfortunately, because of the dealership use of the name dataLayer variable, now LunaMotors has PII in Google Analytics. These types of accidental conflicts are less common, but it’s the uncommon issues that catch you by surprise! Increase your agility. If the answer is “very likely”, then you need to use separate GTM containers per domain/subdomain. Of course, sometimes you will want to fire a tag only on one website but the scale of such “unique” tracking implementations will probably be pretty low. ): But if you had one GTM container across all three websites, one single change would be applied to all three websites instantly. Thanks! Each regional office needs the ability to add tracking pixels for its local marketing campaigns, but regional users should not be able to affect the analytics tracking configured by the global office. Thank you! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. To answer your question - does not matter :). To keep your container's content organized and easy to work with, we recommend that you use a naming convention similar to the following pattern: - - ​. The containers associated with a Tag Manager account. Container 2: Web container for a web app that tracks bike workouts. Within that account, the most common practice is to use a unique container for each website or mobile app. If you want to track visitors across different subdomains or domains of your business, then you will need to use the same GA property. Three? Is Google Tag Manager Preview Mode Not Working? The publisher wants their GTM code on the page, but the third-party domains may already have their own GTM code, and may be unwilling (for good reasons) to give the publisher access to their GTM. click Accounts next to the relevant account name. So don’t rename the data layer for a subset of containers on the page. Will tags/triggers/variables be quite similar on all three websites? Click I Accept below to consent to the use of this technology on our website; otherwise it will be disabled during your visit. If you find yourself in this unavoidable boat, be sure to read the about the pitfalls below. export a part of the container with gtmtools.com. Hi, it is not recommended to have multiple GTM containers as they will/might conflict in the datalayer (unless they are configured to use different data layers). If you have three websites that are totally different in terms of their content, structure, functionality, e.g. I would add one more case when using one container across multiple domains is recommended, based on personal experience. Start for free. Very helpful and save my time. Because all containers are using a “shared” dataLayer, any events or other variables that get pushed to the dataLayer are available to both containers. Developing a strong audience strategy is key for publishers to achieve digital maturity. We use this technology to personalize content and ads, provide social media features, and analyze our website traffic. Officially, Google Tag Manager introduced support for adding multiple containers earlier in 2015. myDataLayer), you must rename the dataLayer for all containers. What if the websites are pretty similar? All rights reserved. Two? Represents a Google Tag Manager Container, which specifies the platform tags will run on, manages workspaces, and retains container versions. Another GTM container for all other websites of the client (because they are just created basically for single project showcasing and for SEO), Let me add a pro for separate GMT containers: they make it easier to transition your client to another agency/freelancer when you are fired ;-), A single container will also result in an easy transition. Reminder: you are using the same GTM container on both domains. Resource representations. They have set up four containers in Tag Manager: Folders can help you organize a container's tags, triggers, and variables into logical groups that can help make your Tag Manager configurations easier to manage. uk.oursite.com Click Create. Container 1: Web container for a bike shop website. GTM is firing multiple times despite implemented only one GTM tag on the page 0 Recommended Answers 1 Reply 11 Upvotes. To reiterate, anything that is in the dataLayer is available to both containers. This is not ideal for several reasons. 4 ways how to turn off Google Tag Manager debug mode. For more information, visit our Privacy Policy. Even though (most likely) this will cause you some headaches, there are no technical limitations. Because those subdomains serve different purposes, their structure is different and, most likely, you will be measuring different things. For optimal performance and workspace manageability, keep the number of tag, trigger, and variable configurations in a given container at a reasonable size. The Container ID uniquely identifies the GTM Container. When it comes to deciding the number of containers, I always think of the structure of websites. Google Analytics & Search Advertising Workshops, Google Analytics 4 Properties: Everything You Need to Know, High-Value Audience Segment Strategies for Publishers, Ultimate Guide to Querying Google Analytics 4 Properties or Firebase Data in BigQuery, To restrict edit/publish permissions to some (but not all) tags, triggers, and variables, To allow multiple site “owners” to autonomously tag a site. And in that case, one container per one subdomain makes the tag management easier. Oh, definitely not. Your list of tags, triggers, and variables will grow faster and soon will become more complex to manage. And this will happen every time you implement a change. When it comes to deciding the number of containers, I always think of the structure of websites and what kind of things am I going to measure. Until recently, there was no official support for multiple GTM containers on a page. Hence, if you have multiple data layers on your site, your tagging implementation may behave unpredictably or certain parts may break. Fast forward nearly two years, and this question is starting to come up more frequently among clients and attendees at our trainings: “ Is it OK to have multiple GTM containers on my site? For information about how users create and maintain containers, see Setup and Workflow. I have found no documentation to support the use of two containers from the Google Tag Manager dev docs. Perhaps the agency wants to be able to quickly deploy remarketing pixels in support of the client, which is reasonable. Represents a Google Tag Manager Container. 12 Ways To Fix It. Will it be convenient to manage tags, triggers, variables of 5 different websites in a single container? Listener tags were preserved when V1 containers were migrated to V2, hence any listener tags must be manually converted into triggers. Even if you are operating on the same domain but have separate subdomains, for example, blog.mydomain.com, support.mydomain.com, www.mydomain.com, you (probably) should use separate GTM containers. The main thing here is that the client must have full admin access to all of his/her GTM accounts and containers :), Let's say I would not recommend keeping more than one client on the same container :-). The complete guide to understanding your Google Analytics 4 Properties & Firebase data in BigQuery. 12 Ways To Fix It. While you can use the same container for multiple websites it's recommended that each separate web property that you manage be deployed with its own container. A container tag is a code snippet used in web development that removes the need for multiple data tracking codes being placed directly on … Some dealers are doing some really interesting stuff with lead generation and remarketing. Multiple data layers are NOT supported. Represents a Google Tag Manager Container. The container size limit (200kb) will be reached much faster. Are your websites (that are hosted on different domains/subdomains) websites very similar (in terms of content, structure, etc. Reasons for using multiple containers usually boil down to data governance issues. ): But if you had one GTM container across all three websites, one single change would be applied to all three websites instantly. to the dataLayer for use in various marketing tags (not for use in Google Analytics, which prohibits personally identifiable information – PII). On the workspace overview page there is a card to view and edit the workspace's description. Then, having one container for all simplifies communication with devs and management on the websites.