Sneaking over to each other’s house, they rake up all the leaves. PSA: The whole Storybook Treasury is available at time of this writing for under $3. The Surprise, from Frog and Toad All Year. Can you give examples and counterexamples? Why or why not? Which word has the same vowel sound as "bus"? Why or why not? Press F11 Select menu option View > Enter Fullscreen for full-screen mode. 2. English Lessons for Kids - Videos, Printables, Games, Online Tests FROG AND TOAD ALL YEAR By: Arnold Lobel Down the Hill Frog knocked at Toad’s door. Why or why not? *EFL = English as a Foreign Language In order for cross-species friendships to develop, she thought, someone might have to first force them to be together. But each of them, ignorant of what the other has attempted, thinks about how pleased the other must be as they resolve to rake up their own yards tomorrow. Fill in the blank. These vocabulary, comprehension, and writing activities accompany the story “The Surprise” from Frog and Toad All Year. What do you imagine Frog and Toad said to each other the next time they met. Frog and Toad each want to surprise the other by raking up all the leaves that have fallen around their home. Did they succeed? 1. Why? I adore the Frog and Toad books for a number of reasons: In the story we read today, “The Surprise,” good friends Frog and Toad each wake to find their lawns covered in leaves. Fill in the blank. Which statement is written correctly? These vocabulary, comprehension, and writing activities accompany the story "The Surprise" from Frog and Toad All Year. What do you think Frog and Toad will do tomorrow at their house? After you make the cake, put ___ away. Down The Hill features a classic Toad panic attack. Do you like surprising people? you want to download you have to send your own contributions. If you ventured to a new place how might you feel, sad or nervous? (This could branch off into a discussion of social networking and the way many global human communities communicate today vs. what was possible two, five, and ten decades ago and/or the ways non-human animals are able to communicate.). Welcome to Look at a list of high frequency words. Frog and Toad All Year is a Level Two I Can Read book, geared for kids who read on their own but still need a little help. We will use this story to think about why we surprise others and how we feel ourselves about surprises. Deer live in the ___. Why or why not? 100. How about you? No one forced him to. Does being a good friend mean you are happy when/because they are happy? When would you feel satisfied, losing a game or solving a math problem? He dove into the snow. Who are people you might like to surprise? “Come out and see how wonderful the winter is!” “I will not,” said Toad. The endearing characters, Frog and Toad, continue to delight and engage young readers. Some people like surprises; others do not. 4. here is the book. Why or why not? 3. Benefit from fifteen years of ESL experience. Frog and Toad each want to surprise the other by raking up all the leaves that have fallen around their home. 1. bet 2. bike 3. tag. You can access a PDF of the text (with a few typos) for free here, though without images. the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: The Surprise is ironic. worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc. Which word has the same vowel sound as "frog"? Some people like surprises; others do not. Did it matter? 100. Worksheets that speak. Listening lesson plans with mp3 files also available. How about you? Who are people you might like to surprise? Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Why or why not? However, her peer argued that it was okay because Toad wants to do it. I ___ the bed with the blanket. Have other people tried to surprise you? Have you ever tried to surprise someone by doing something nice for them? When Frog and Toad return home, there is no sign of their friend’s hard work, but they each go to bed delighted, thinking of how happy the other will be to find his lawn tidied for him. Why or why not? This is the only beginning part of The Surprise from Frog and Toad All Year in the "An I Can Read Book" series published by Harper Collins. It wasn't spring for Frog until he saw a garden growing. Reading - Frog and Toad All Year : The Surprise 02. Should you have a lot in common with someone in order to be good friends? “Come out and have fun.” “Blah,” said Toad. Christmas Eve is worried Toad at his best. Worksheets that save paper, ink and time. I highly recommend getting your hands on a copy of the original with Lobel’s sweet illustrations. If you described a car what did you do, played with it or told what it looked like? I’d love to hear your kids’ ideas. If you tried to surprise someone with something nice, did you want them to know that you made the surprise for them? 1. do you want a cookie? Our mission is to create a smarter world by simplifying and accelerating the learning process. 3. Live Worksheets Worksheets that listen. Storytown-Gr. Fill in the blank. Advertise here, Home > If you do something for someone but they never find out, is it still a good deed? These activities go with the chapter The Surprise. Worksheets that motivate students. If something takes a lot of effort but you enjoy it, is it still hard work? All with comprehensive Teacher Notes included. Does fair mean equal? Setting aside the countless cases in which members of different species form fast friendships without (and often in spite of!) Friends Frog and Toad, who have quite different personalities, have adventures through the seasons, They are collections of short stories that can generally be read within one lesson block. Unfortunately, a strong wind blows all the leaves back over the grounds of Frog and Toad’s homes. I see five cars. Unfortunately, a strong wind blows all the leaves back over the grounds of Frog and Toad’s homes. Frog and Toad each want to surprise the other by raking up all the leaves that have fallen around their home. 1. bats 2. pucks 3. mule. 3. sit down on the chair. Use coupon code "ESLPR" on registration for discount! Why or why not? Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad #3) by Arnold Lobel is a classic beginning reader about two friends through the seasons: Frog who is optimistic and Toad who is pessimistic. What do you and your students think of Frog and Toad’s surprises? This month I’ve been reading Arnold Lobel’s Frog and Toad All Year with my advanced EFL* students in Israel. We are bound together by our respect for each other, passion for justice, commitment to the principles of Unitarian Universalism, and the call to create a community together. Be a better teacher! Dan walked ___ the hall. Sneaking over to each other’s house, they rake up all the leaves. Is it possible to be good friends with someone you hardly ever see or talk to? If your gift is anonymous did you write your name on it or keep your name a secret? Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. It can be especially helpful to study prepostions. Grammar, reading, vocabulary, speaking. Which question is written correctly? Why? Do you have a bike? I like cake the best? If you do work hard or sacrifice something for someone else but you get an equal amount of pleasure from it, was it still a selfless act? Browse over 1 million classes created by top students, professors, publishers, and experts, spanning the world's body of "learnable" knowledge. 2. If you tried to surprise someone with something nice, did you want them to know that you made the surprise for them? If They deal with universal philosophical themes that are relavent and critical across cultures and age groups, such as friendship, altruism, fairness, time. Fill in the blank. Zero preparation time required. Down The Hill features a classic Toad panic attack. How do you know "Frog and Toad All Year" is fiction? Sneaking over to each other’s house, they rake up all the leaves. Friendship | Another student today was skeptical that frogs and toads are usually friends in real life. The endearing characters, Frog and Toad, continue to delight and engage young readers. Hundreds of PDF lesson plans. Look at a list of high frequency words. Which word has the same vowel sound as "red"? In winter, spring, summer, and fall, Frog and Toad are always together. “I am in my warm bed.” “Winter is beautiful,” said Frog. Why or why not? What’s the difference. Do you have a toy? Why or why not? From sledding in winter to eating ice cream on hot summer days, these two friends have fun the whole year round! Are surprises always good? The story is cute and sweet and can be left at that, but it opens the door to a number of philosophical dilemmas. Change ), On Reading and Writing Poetry with Children, Poetry Box: A New Zealand Poetry Page for Children. 1. The Corner is sweet. ( Log Out /  Do Frog and Toad live in the city or the country? Does it change if they do not have to finish the task? Which statement is written correctly. How would this happen naturally for Frog and Toad? Reading Frog And Toad All Year: The Surprise, Reading Frog And Toad All Year: Down The Hill, Reading Frog And Toad All Year: Down The Hill 02, Reading Frog And Toad All Year : The Surprise 02, Reading Frog And Toad Are Friends : A Lost Button 01, Reading Cannot Will Not Do Not Shortform, Reading Frog And Toad Are Friends : A Lost Button 02, Reading Frog And Toad Are Friends: Spring 01. Everything you need to help a child learn to read through phonics: decodable stories, listening exercises, you name it. ( Log Out /  Why? Frog and Toad each want to help the other because they are friends.