Imprint: The author was also clever about the wording of the text because even parents can be amused by reading this story. “Like its Caldecott Honor–winning predecessor Interrupting Chicken, this story centers on one extended gag; but many will enjoy giggling at it again and again, likely with a grownup of their own.” —The Horn Book, "A laugh-out-loud follow-up to Stein's 2011 Caldecott honoree, Interrupting Chicken." Elephant or element, something unexpected awaits Papa in every story, but a surprise may be in store for the little red chicken as well. SURPRISE! (Library), These illustrations had me in stitches. Reviewed in the United States on September 21, 2020. Her dad tries to explain that her teacher is talking about the element of surprise, but Chicken is … English Shop thousands of Books, Audio Books, DVDs, Calendars, Diaries and Stationery, then proceed to checkout. Or could it be an element of surprise (as her amused papa explains)? This book would be very appealing for young readers because the illustrations were really bright and eye catching. Learn more about SCETV sponsorship opportunities. Sadly, a bit shy of even a “meh” book for me. I would use this book when working with children by reading it before or after teaching what the element of surprise in a story is. Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. I think my 4 year old likes the sequel better than the original! Once again the stories within the story make for some fun reading as things don't turn out the way one might expect. The little red chicken is back in David Ezra Stein's follow-up to the Caldecott Honor book Interrupting Chicken. David Ezra Stein is the creator of many award-winning picture books, including Interrupting Chicken, which was awarded a Caldecott Honor, Dinosaur Kisses, I'm My Own Dog and Ice Boy. One of my favorites of the year. We’d love your help. Her dad tries to explain that her teacher is talking about the element of surprise, but Chicken is insisted on creating elephants into every story that she chooses to read. Little Red Chicken comes home from school where she learned that every good story has an Elephant of Surprise. Or is it, as her papa suggests, an element of surprise? Walker But Little Chicken doesn't believe her father and as they read together is delighted to point out to her startled father the 'elephant' of surprise that keeps appearing. Papa tries to correct his little chicken, but as they share stories the element of surprise is at play. It’s homework time for the little red chicken, who has just learned what every good story should have: an elephant of surprise. Little Chicken has learnt what every good story should have ... an ELEPHANT of surprise! To create our... To see what your friends thought of this book, Interrupting Chicken and the Elephant of Surprise.