You had Optimus Prime, Duke (GI Joe), Luke Skywalker, etc.

I suggest that kids should watch this movie when they are 9 years old. However, it was a very good movie if you have older kids.

You can see that the roots form to her body and they barely cover anything. Kids argue. "Goonies" meets "LOTR" in fun but sometimes scary adventure.

Encourages loyalty, honoring those you love, persevering and overcoming challenges, doing the right thing, working as a team, telling the truth. I think the PG rating is accurate - it’s just not for EVERY kid.

My 9 year old LOVED this movie.

Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus. A band of kids embark on an epic quest to thwart a medieval menace. All rights reserved. This movie is AMAZING!!! Old school magic meets the modern world in this epic adventure. The film suffers from Cornish's blocky and plentiful dialogue. Delightful classic brings King Arthur legend to life. Well written, acted and directed. Her armed dark army is also scary: Horse-mounted mud creatures with fiery eyes, weapons (like ring wraiths in Lord of the Rings); they attack the kids, even invade Alex's home. Continuing the story of Max and his pet friends, following their secret lives after their owners leave them for work or school each day. To conclude, story was ok, but lacked any depth it could have had.

Now, he must unite his friends and enemies into a band of knights and, together with the legendary wizard Merlin (Sir Patrick Stewart), take on the wicked enchantress Morgana (Rebecca Ferguson). Now, he must unite his friends and enemies into a band of knights and, together with the legendary wizard Merlin (Sir Patrick Stewart), take on the wicked enchantress Morgana (Rebecca Ferguson). He said The Kid who would be King was not even close to being as scary. After running away from the bullies, Alex ends up falling into a construction site and sees a dusty old sword stuck in a stone, which he manages to dislodge. The Kid Who Would Be King is a funny family feel-good movie that all preteens need to go see. That being said, there are some scary elements that would frighten younger children or those who are more sensitive to scary things.

With the future at stake, Alex must become the great leader he never dreamed he could be. The Kid Who Would Be King grossed $16.8 million in the United States and Canada, and $15.4 million in other territories, for a total worldwide gross of $32.1 million, against a production budget of $59 million. In a world where people collect Pokémon to do battle, a boy comes across an intelligent talking Pikachu who seeks to be a detective. I enjoy the idea of a modern retelling of King Arthur, but I wish the film had turned out a little better. My children and I both really enjoyed this movie. What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Stoke kids' love of reading with great summer stories, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, 6 formas de usar los medios para que los niños mantengan el español, Wide Open School: recursos para el aprendizaje a distancia, Which Side of History? My almost 10 year old was very scared and my 11 year was pretty scared too. Creepy skeleton warriors, evil trees attack the kids. But some of the special effects (especially Morgana’s) were terrifying for young children. Kids will be delighted by the young knights' adventures, and parents will appreciate how the Arthurian code promotes truth-telling, honoring loved ones, and perseverance. I think this was a great movie but some kids might get scared when these skeletons come out of the ground and into the boys house because the have fire for their eyes and a flaming sword.

Shame on the ppl who rated this show.

My almost 10 year old was very scared and my 11 year was pretty scared too. There is a lot of adventure/action, quest, and a weird/awkward Merlin(a wizard).

Bedders is kind, summons his courage to join Alex as a knight. Might be slightly scary in parts for younger viewers but all in all very family friendly. I was reminded of the live action films I grew up with in the 80s like the Goonies. In "The Kid Who Would Be King" the father is an absent drunk. This FAQ is empty. Classic Hollywood narrative which brings down an otherwise pretty good movie. Overall the movie has great messages and fun characters. ; and they all had examples of how to be. The odd, lanky teen explains that Alex is the new true king -- and that he will need to rally a group of fighters to defeat the wicked Morgana (Rebecca Ferguson), who's gaining strength to resurface and reclaim not only the sword, but all of Great Britain, as her birthright. How Technology Is Reshaping Democracy and Our Lives, Participate in DigCit Week with your kid by using curated activities from Wide Open School, Online Playdates, Game Nights, and Other Ways to Socialize at a Distance, Keeping Kids Motivated for Online Learning, Set limits for violence and more with Plus, Rating too soft. Technically she wasn't but if you don't want the almost naked image of a fully formed women floating around in your little kids mind. Three teenagers must help a Yeti return to his family while avoiding a wealthy man and a zoologist who want him for their own needs. ), but nothing overly salty. The days when being good meant something and not just expecting something in return. Old school magic meets the modern world in this epic adventure.

‘The Kid Who Would Be King,' 2.5 stars. The music and sound effects were also very scary- almost like a rated R terror movie. Thank you for your support. Wonder Park tells the story of an amusement park where the imagination of a wildly creative girl named June comes alive. It had intense scenes that I thought were out of a PG13 or even rated R Movie based on the graphic depicting Morgana as a demon with a spooky voice. The film is slightly longer than it needs to be, but Alex's drive to do what's right is charming, and the young Merlin's quirkiness (don't be surprised if young viewers attempt his constant snapping and clapping) is endearing. Along with adventurer Adelina Fortnight, this trio of explorers travel the world to help their new friend.

Mr. Link recruits explorer Sir Lionel Frost to help find his long-lost relatives in the fabled valley of Shangri-La. We cannot let this new generation experience the horrors of these vile governments. The plot was interesting with lots of action. Director Joe Cornish gives Arthurian legend a modern, crowd-pleasing twist in this version by choosing a kind, courageous "everyboy" to be the once and future king. This did not bother us as parents one bit. Heartrending adaptation explores the enormity of grief. Google Translate, Fiat, Mario Kart, YouTube, Led Zeppelin T-shirt, Uber. In the United States and Canada, the film opened in 3,521 theaters, grossing $7.3 million in its opening weekend, finishing fourth at the box office. My 8 year said it was "very scary and intense".

Alex (Louis Ashbourne Serkis) thinks he's just another nobody, until he stumbles upon the mythical sword in the stone, Excalibur. School kids throw food/items at "Mertin." You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. Merlin is a quirky but helpful guide and mentor; he can't always save the kids, so he does his best to teach them how to succeed on their own merits. Kaye and Lance redeem themselves for their bullying, selfish ways.

Morgana (who is the villian) is shown with roots and without clothes. Wondering if The Kid Who Would Be King is OK for your kids? Animated battle violence in opening backstory sequence. The end had a nice message about the kids being leaders in the world and holding values which I liked. The kids are chased each night by skeleton demons and Morgana ( the evil sister of King Arther) turns into a creepy demon dragon they have to fight.

Even the effects were excellent. Apocalyptic vision of future if kids don't succeed. Shape-shifting villain Morgana is incredibly creepy in every form, especially as winged, demonic-looking creature. The movie was wonderful for a precocious 7 year old who likes scary things. You Are Also Going To Love: If you loved reading The Kid Who Would Be King Movie Review and if It’s Appropriate For Kids, then you will also love the following movie reviews I have put together for you: A young orphan named Lewis Barnavelt aids his magical uncle in locating a clock with the power to bring about the end of the world. First Potter movie is a magical ride but also intense. Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. (2019). Add your ratingSee all 53 parent reviews. Use the HTML below. The star rating reflects overall quality. I went with my barely 9yr old son who was covering his OWN eyes because he was so frightened and then covered his own eyes again at the sight of Morgana (can't remember if that's her name) but she's the villin in the show and at a certain point she appears to be underground, tied up to the roots of the tree which are the same color as her skin - my son was shocked and said,"shess naked!" I am suprised we have not heard more about this movie. Keep track of everything you watch; tell your friends. Also there is a lot of swearing and uses of Gods name in vein. I watched "The Kid Who Would Be King" with my eight-year-old brother yesterday night. There were far too many cringey moments relative to every touching or entertaining moment. Ashbourne Serkis (actor-director Andy's youngest child) plays Alex as an earnest, brave 12-year-old who can't quite believe that the magical sword belongs to him. The diverse group of kids who end up battling evil has a certain kinship to the ensemble in Cornish's clever (and decidedly more grown-up) debut, Attack the Block -- except, here, instead of aliens, these kids are trying to defeat a medieval sorceress who's trying to take over the United Kingdom. Characters also argue and deal with fairly intense bullying.

Families can talk about the violence in The Kid Who Would Be King. Talk of a father who used to drink to the point of anger/excess. That's when we walked out. In a world with too many divisions, that's a message that everyone should internalize. View production, box office, & company info. Lance and Kaye start out as bullies who pick on Bedders and Alex, taunting, threatening, pushing them, making Bedders hang upside down, etc. My 8 and 10 year old liked it, but said the bad guys were “WAY” scarier than Voldemort. Director: Joe Cornish. They have watched Narnia and some of the harry potter and aren't particularly sensitive to scary parts of movies. Fantastic messages of friendship and working together honourably.