However, traffic is prevalent and real estate prices are through the roof. The Northern Virginia attraction offers a variety of activities, scenic vistas, and walking trails. Top Attractions to Experience in Washington, D.C. Monuments and Memorials in Washington, D.C. What to Do and See Along the Mount Vernon Trail. When my school had to perform at the Kennedy Center, I was just a metro ride away. Abingdon, named after Martha Washington’s ancestral home in England, became a town in 1778 and today its historic downtown is home to a thriving arts and culture scene, featuring venues like the historic Barter Theatre, as well as galleries, museums, and markets. A mix of the charming, modern, and tried and true. The gorgeous white sands at Virginia beach and otter banks are just right there. Town of Tazewell. But one of the best features of Virginia is the abundance of small towns and communities throughout the state. The state-of-the-art museum uses interactive technology, multi-media exhibits and thousands of artifacts to bring to life the values, mission, and culture of the Marine Corps. Cities with populations of less than 50,000 are eligible to become towns through reversion. Gorgeous shopping. Check out this road trip that will take you to 6 of the most scenic small towns in Virginia. TripSavvy / Victoria Chamberlain. (And if you’re looking for a little laugh, check out these 17 reasons you should never, ever move to Virginia.). Stone ridge also has a great diversity of the residents that live here. It's so much better here than there. Cities with populations of less than 50,000 are eligible to become towns through reversion. Transplant from Seattle. Ponds, fish. Most, if not all, neighborhoods are very family-friendly and have extremely low crime rates. Explore Dozens of Parks in Northern Virginia, Visit the Iconic Iwo Jima U.S. Marine Corps Memorial. I love my neighbors and how active and connected this area is. Need further convincing? Claude Moore Colonial Farm at Turkey Run is an 18th-century living history farm that features self-guided tours through a recreated pre-Revolutionary tenant farm. The region is often spelled "northern Virginia", although according to the USGS Correspondence Handbook the 'n' in Northern Virginia should be capitalized since it is a place name rather than a direction or general area; e.g. However, Richmond City is only about a 20-minute drive from Short Pump, and the city is a growing area with an abundance of diversity. The Northern Virginia location of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, located adjacent to Dulles International Airport, displays the massive space shuttle Discovery, the Lockheed SR-71 and numerous aircraft, spacecraft and other artifacts. What are your thoughts on our list of the 10 best small towns in Virginia? Fun Free Things to Do in Washington, D.C. There are a total of 837 towns and cities in the state of Virginia. It is located on a 135-acre site next to the U.S. Marine Corps Base at Quantico, Virginia. The perfect example of this was two winters ago when we had a big snow storm and we were trapped in. Eleven cities (55%) improved year over year, with Smithfield and Covington tying for most improved; each moved up 27 places from our 2019 ranking. Bluefield. Great restaurants a and places to play. The gorgeous white sands at Virginia beach and otter banks are just right there. The Top 15 Things to Do in Northern Virginia. Get more stories delivered right to your email. more, Northern Virginia Tourism: Best of Northern Virginia, Create a Trip to save and organize all of your travel ideas, and see them on a map. Lived here for 17 years and love it! St. Paul. Mount Vernon is one of the prime historic landmarks in the Washington, D.C., area and one to be sure to visit. It's so much better here than there. Based on 2012 and 2016 presidential election results compared to the national average. You simply can’t go wrong with Onancock. Of course, the same is true for nearly every place in Virginia. Neighborhood in Arlington, VA. 2 reviews. Every May, the town hosts the Heart of Virginia Festival, a festival where local businesses like Buffalo Creek Guitars come together with vendors and musicians from around the country to provide arts and crafts, traditional foods, music, and fireworks. The 500-seat music venue offers a variety of live performances of folk, jazz, rock, gospel or alternative music. Read more on how this ranking was calculated. It's a fun spirited area, and VA Square is just down the road, but Ballston has like 3 or 4 Starbucks so I'm good. Friendly neighbors! Lots of paths to walk on, parks to use. While the word “literally” is often used incorrectly, in this case, Farmville sits just south of the geographic center of the state, meaning that it is “literally” in the heart of Virginia. Today, Chincoteague (and sister island, Assateague) is best known for its Annual Pony Swim and Auction, but also offers pristine beaches, amazing seafood, boat tours, home tours, and an all-around chilled out beach town experience. I'd say maybe 2 hours away drive tops. Based on cost of living factors for an area including housing costs, tax rates, and cost of essentials like food and fuel. This riverside town may have a population of less than 1,000, but it does not fall short on charm. History buffs will love the historic sites and museums at every turn. Also featuring beer gardens, exercise classes at Gateway Park, many community events, and the best people. My Stone Ridge experience has been very good so far. I'd say maybe 2 hours away drive tops. Schools, churches, civic orgs all great. The historic downtown offers an array of specialty shops, boutiques, art galleries, antiques, and more, along with a surprisingly large selection of local restaurants and cafes. If I were to change anything about Stone Ridge it would be the nightlife and the healthy living. Or just sit in a pub on the water and listen to live music. I liked being nearby to parks, a swim club and local stores. Wander Through Old-Growth Forest And Waterfront Trails At Virginia’s Caledon State Park, One Of The Highest Bridges In The Whole Country Is Right Here In Virginia, You’ll Want To Stay Far Away From The Huge, Venomous Caterpillars Making Their Way Through Virginia, Load Up On Apple Fritters, Cinnamon Rolls, And Donuts At Country Style Donuts In Virginia, These 25 Towns In Virginia Have The Best Main Streets You Gotta Visit, Here Are The 11 Best Cities In Virginia To Retire, Staunton, Virginia Was Recently Named A Top Mountain Town By Southern Living Magazine, You’ll Want To Spend More Time In This Historic Crabbing Town In Virginia, https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nominate/, Greg Vassilakos (Own work) [Public domain] / Wikimedia Commons.