All Rights Reserved. That being said, be aware that there are descriptions of anger and strong emotions at a few different points in the book; one of the most intense is on pg. The family is finally reunited, but their father has changed; he is bitter, touchy, angry, always tired. You've got to love the characters!! And although they were written about fifty years apart, Miracles seems to be less relevant and out of date than Understood Betsy. I would like to know if Mr. Chris gets better or not. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, See all details for Miracles on Maple Hill, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Nature is good for people's souls. Reviewed in the United States on January 15, 2017. FICTION. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. This page works best with JavaScript. Her dad has come home from having been a prisoner during the war, but he's not the same. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Made me nostalgic for a time I didn't even live in, Reviewed in the United States on March 25, 2012. They and their mother had endured the apparent loss of their father during wartime (unclear which war - perhaps Korean) only to discover that he had been a prisoner of war. This book has no action. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. And when Mr. Chris gets very sick and has to go to the hospital, what will happen to him? Read a book review from a famous author, illustrator or authors to find the right books for your child or children. . There they meet Mr. and Mrs. Chris, Grandma's neighbors whom Marley's mother remembers from her childhood visits. One of my favorite relationships in the story is the one between Marly and Mr. Chris; it’s a great example of a respectful friendship between a child and an “elderly” person. For her latest story Mrs. Sorensen has picked another theme not too often examined in children's books nor nearly so well... by Virginia Sorensen This is a delightful story that embodies the human need for spending time with God's creation and the virtues of simple living. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. You've got to love the characters!! Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. The writing is interesting and engaging, but not too hurried, with many details about how things are done on a farm (especially the sugar season), plant and animal life, etc. Joe had wanted to join the bad at his city school, but the little school at Maple Hill doesn't have a band. Back in the day, a book in which the father had been a POW and was (clearly to our eyes now) suffering from PTSD was an unusual "problem" to encounter in a children's book. Read a book review from a famous author, illustrator or authors to find the right books for your child or children. Back in the day, a book in which the father had been a POW and was (clearly to our eyes now) suffering from PTSD was an unusual "problem" to encounter in a children's book. I wish I could have had a similar experience as a child. Her dad has come home from having been a prisoner during the war, but he's not the same. We’re glad you found a book that interests you. This page works best with JavaScript. There is a nicely balanced sibling relationship between Joe and Marly (squabbling and bickering, but also some nice shared moments between the two). I really liked all the characters in the book, especially the children. Although it was one of my favorite books when I was younger, I wasn’t sure how my two boys and husband would like it. LibraryThing Review User Review - jntjesussaves - LibraryThing. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Marley the young daughter in the book was my favorite, and I felt like the author wrote the story for a child Marley's age to read (about 5th grade). Through their season there and the people they meet and live with they all find new answers in the healthy feelings that are now allowed to grow in them as surely as the new life around them. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Reviewed in the United States on April 4, 2018. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Made me nostalgic for a time I didn't even live in, Reviewed in the United States on March 25, 2012. Finally, I love that this book shows some aspects of “real” relationships. The Database Of All The Reviews. book review: miracles on maple hill October 23, 2016 ~ thimblenest In midsummer, in search of a great evening read-aloud, after a string of duds, I pulled Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorensen off the shelf. delightful story deserving of Newbery Medal, Reviewed in the United States on March 27, 2012. This book won the newberry in 1957, and tells the story of a family that moves to the Pennsylvania country to live a more simplistic life away from the hustle and bustle of the big city. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. My least favorite part is that Marly won't explore the woods or city without Joe, her brother. very sweet book. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. All Rights Reserved. Reviewed in the United States on May 11, 2019. it was an escape for the mind reading this book being transported to a maple sugar farm and seeing the dad transform and become happy again. LibraryThing Review User Review - jntjesussaves - LibraryThing. Reviewed in the United States on August 18, 2015. Daddy’s experiences as a soldier are an important part of the book’s narrative, and the realities of war and its after-effects on soldiers and their loved ones are introduced without being overwhelming. You've got to love the characters!! You can still see all customer reviews for the product. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Back in the day, a book in which the father had been a POW and was (clearly to our eyes now) suffering from PTSD was an unusual "problem" to encounter in a children's book. Wonderful read--one of my favorite books from childhood, and it has not lost its charm. This brings current readers back in time, and older readers to their childhood. Retrieve credentials. As the book opens, Marly and her family are headed to Maple Hill, a rural area of Pennsylvania where Marly’s mother spent her childhood summers. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. influencers in the know since 1933. I want to go through and make a list of all the plants and animals included in the plot. Reviewed in the United States on April 4, 2018. This book has no action. Told only through the experiences of Marly and Joe, this is a complete and realistic family story. I would like to know if Mr. Chris gets better or not. I remember envying Marly her chance to go to that little country schoolhouse--my "dream" school in those days. For her latest story Mrs. Sorensen has picked another theme not too often examined in children's books nor nearly so well done as it is here. And, although no one else will say it out loud, they’re all hoping the farm will restore their dad’s mental and physical health.