Mellow soulful, jazzy vibes with her sultry, rich voice. This album is a key ingredient to what can forment Black healing. It is what we were shopping for. It's definitely not the tough, coyly defiant, independently minded kick-in-the-ass that her top-flight vocal performances made famous, though there are still flashes of it for emphasis. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. This new album was reportedly written with influences from the records her parents played while growing up. Pitchfork is the most trusted voice in music. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Even if it's a hard sell going to some of the hooks a few too many times—especially when they're as lyrically noncommittal as the placeholder-quality “Gimme what I want/ Gimme what I need/ I'm beggin' you please/ I'm down on my knees” refrain of “Friday Fish Fry”—it's striking to hear a voice you thought might've been familiar over the previous five albums given a new rendition. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Thank you Beverly. Please try again. Even if the “Bless the Telephone” cover isn't the most characteristic or innovative cut, it's at least the most complementary—just her, Tunde, and an acoustic guitar all meshing together in a way just as striking as her younger self careening through Pharrell's digital Tilt-a-Whirl. Kelis' new Food—produced by TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek and released on indie Ninja Tune—shows the singer in unusual form: ragged, raspy, somewhere between … On the one hand, there is Kelis Rogers, who first came to prominence singing the hook of Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s 1999 hit ‘Got Your Money’. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Food as a concept takes on so many meanings, but as a theme it is better described through "consumption". One of these days there'll be the definitive retrospective written about how Kelis somehow managed both a solid run of great songs and an impenetrable run of rotten luck. Learn more about the program. Obviously, she understands that a meal provides more than sustenance for the body, this is so much more than a gastronomic concept album. Keli always has been ahead of her time. Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Here she is at her most homely and reflective. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. On the one It brings out the sweetly nostalgic tint to super-earworm leadoff single “Jerk Ribs", the deeper-than-deep long-distance yearning in Labi Siffre cover/Tunde Adebimpe duet “Bless the Telephone", and the maternal lessons-learned wisdom in “Hooch” (which slyly invokes an epochal line from her ex Nas: “Like your daddy said, the world is yours/ So let it flow naturally”). This " Food " CD by Kelis arrived a few days ago. Arrived on time. But the majority of the album sinks into an indistinct mellow R&B feint that falls dangerously close to a soundtrack for young attractive people beaming down at smartphones during a "Mad Men" ad break. Unable to add item to List. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 22, 2017, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 16, 2015, interesting album with such a distinct voice solid. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Plays well in my CD player. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Following the release of "Tasty" (2003) and its massive hit single "Milkshake", Kelis graduated as a saucier, hosted her own cookery show, previewed a sauce line as well as a clothing line, and … This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. I'm not kidding when I point out that “Jerk Ribs” is as catchy a pop concoction as anything someone of the 21st Century indiesphere has done, the sort of buoyant interplay of slinky bass-percussion rapport and joyously martial brass this kind of windows-down-sunroof-open vibe demands. Sitek, meanwhile, gave Kelis the potential to fit her way into another side of her style and personality that could expand her repertoire—that of the contemporary NYC-native internationalist, the big-in-Europe star rerooted to the Harlem of her youth and reconciling it with the art-school upbringing that made her one of pop's likeliest indie-crossover candidates. Following the release of "Tasty" (2003) and its massive hit single "Milkshake", Kelis graduated as a saucier, hosted her own cookery show, previewed a sauce line as well as a clothing line, and has been working on a recipe book for some time. It's got a semi-retro funky vibe and her voice is incredible. Such a diverse artist and willing to change and be creative. So glad I heard Jerk Ribs and decided to give the whole thing a shot, I would say this is one of the best albums of 2014! Reviewed in the United States on March 13, 2015. It's to Kelis' boundless credit that she can make the twee screw of “Floyd” or the passive attack trip-hop of “Runnin” feel warmly human just by doing her best to overpower it—even as the music tries, and nearly succeeds, in overpowering her. If the occasional lapses in songwriting are forgivable, the backgrounding of Kelis' voice is a lot harder to overlook. Love food & yeah I'm a foodie so the titles are adorable. ... more, Deeply dope, organic, and emotional sharing of original self (Alkebulan today) around the globe. Aside from Milkshake I had not much to say about Kelis however from beginning to end this album is amazing. Music and food seem to go hand-in-hand for Kelis through various projects. Kelis offers a soulful collection of horn-accompanied retro R&B that’s conceptually united by her gastronomic passion. For most of the remainder of Food, she seems adrift, distantly in the middle of nowhere even as she's surrounded by orchestration on all sides. This was the visually and sonically compelling 20 year-old whose debut album ‘Kaleidoscope’ helped usher in the wave of sharp, thrillingly futuristic R&B that dominated the charts in the early Noughties, as exemplified by her global hit, ‘Milkshake’. Gíque, Keyboard Fantasiesby Beverly Glenn-Copeland, This album is a key ingredient to what can forment Black healing. That new, strange rasp of hers is subsumed under layers of Sitek studio trickery: pushed back by horn sections when it should be riffing off them, given reverb that makes her sound more blurry than ethereal, multitracked or given backup harmonies in a way that dulls the intriguing edges of her voice. I saw Kelis perform some of this on Later and fell in love with the general vibe and chill of these songs. Food shows Kelis in unusual form—ragged, raspy, somewhere between exhausted from effort and deep in reflection. Reviewed in the United States on December 5, 2019, A great album. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. One of her best efforts. An odd concept album and one of the best albums of the year. Music and food seem to go hand-in-hand for Kelis through various projects. One could argue that "Food" is a cleverly disguised break-up record. hand, there is Kelis Rogers, who first came to prominence singing the hook of Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s 1999 hit Got Your Money; whose debut album Kaleidoscope helped usher in the wave of sharp, thrillingly futuristic r’n’b that dominated the charts in the early Noughties.