Check List 16(2): 337-342 - get paper here Nguyen, S.V., Ho, C.T. These are best housed individually, unless they are in large display setups where the animals can get far away from any cage mates while remaining in good microhabitats. Reptilia (Münster) 22 (128): 60-61 -, Mocquard, FRANÇOIS 1897. The Book of Snakes. Some neonates will bite defensively, particularly when restrained, but these are inconsequential. This species has thick and durable scales compared to other colubrids; it is resistant to most damage, besides bites from conspecifics during breeding attempts (males of this species utilize a copulatory bite on females that can result in cuts, particularly if the female’s skin is weakened). Reptilia (Münster) 16 (87): 60-66 -, Schulz, Klaus-Dieter; Wolfgang Böhme, Frank Tillack 2011. Sauria 20 (1): 2 -, Chen, Xin; Alexander d. Mckelvy, L. Lee Grismer, Masafumi Matsui, Kanto Nishikawa, Frank T. Burbrink 2014. Especially as neonates, they are susceptible to overheating if exposed to continual temperatures above 29 °C (85 °F) without an opportunity to reach cooler temperatures.

The snakes of China [in Chinese]. Dauerbrenner im Terrarium: Nattern. Its scale count includes 19 rows of dorsals at midbody.

The southernmost distribution of the Rhinoceros Snake, Gonyosoma boulengeri (Mocquard, 1897) (Reptile, Squamata, Colubridae), in Vietnam.

Juveniles are fed an appropriately sized mouse once a week. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, USA -, Brachtel, Norbert 1998. Distribution : North Vietnam, China (Guangxi, Hainan). Mus. Wallach, Van; Kenneth L. Williams , Jeff Boundy 2014. 2018. It has a prominent, distinctive, scaled protrusion on the front of its snout, which has led to its common naming after a rhinoceros. House, Vol. Nguyen, S.V., Ho, C.T. Neonates have been known to eat other neonates when kept in groups. Herpetology of China. Zootaxa 3881 (6): 532–548 -, Devisch, Fangio 2010. -, Nguyen LT, Kane D, Le MV, Nguyen TT, Hoang HV, Mccormack TEM, Tapley B, Nguyen SN 2020. 2009. & Adler,K. Zur Kenntnis, Pflege und Zucht der Vietnamesischen Langnasennatter, Rhynchophis boulengeri Mocquard, 1897. As a hatchling, Gonyosoma boulengeri has scales of a silver color; they turn green as the snake ages. I, 372 pp., Vol. & K.-D. Schulz 2011. Rhynchophis boulengeri. [9], The rhinoceros ratsnake inhabits subtropical rainforests at elevations between 300 and 1,100 m (980 and 3,610 ft), particularly valleys with streams. Zhao,E. 2014 cite Zaher et al. Reptilia (Münster) 20 (115): 18-27 -, Kunz, Kriton 2010. If your enclosure is particularly humid, be sure that the substrate is setup to drain the water away from the surface. The substrate should be kept dry for juveniles and adults, and may be kept lightly moistened for neonates.

Litteratura Serpentium 30 (2): 078-085 -. 2014: 643 Gonyosoma boulengeri — CHEN et al. Herpetologists don’t know the purpose the horn serves. Die Amphibien und Reptilien eines Tieflandfeuchtwald-Schutzgebietes in Vietnam. As they mature, rhinoceros ratsnakes change color to steel grey at about 12–14 months, then to a bluish green or green adult hue at about 24 months. Captive bred juvenile and adult specimens do not bite out of aggression; all bites I have received have been the result of a food mistake. Notes herpétologiques. Reptilia (Münster) 15 (86): 8 -, Laita, Mark 2013.

For adults, I generally feed one weaned mouse per week, during the season where they are willing to feed: males typically fast after brumation through the time females ovulate, or even lay eggs (typically this is March through June/ July in my collection). Die vielfältige Welt chinesischer Schlangen. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. -. N Vietnam (Ha Tinh, Vinh-Phu, Bac-Thai, Yen-Bai, Phu Yen, Quang Binh), Syntypes: MNHN-RA 1894.0094-0095 (2 females), MNHN-RA 1897.0096-0097 (2 males) and MNHN-RA 1897.0099 (male) (5 syntypes). Named after George Albert Boulenger (1858 - 1937), herpetologist at the British Museum of Natural History, London. 1993. Wang, Kai; Jinlong Ren, Hongman Chen, Zhitong Lyu, Xianguang Guo Ke Jiang, Jinmin Chen, Jiatang Li, Peng Guo, Yingyong Wang, Jing Che 2020.

The phylogenetic position and taxonomic status of the Rainbow Tree Snake Gonyophis margaritatus (Peters, 1871) (Squamata: Colubridae).

On the rare occasion of a bite from this species, I have not observed any complications or effects, unlike Gonyosoma frenatum, oxycephalum, and jansenii, all of which seem to have some minor anti-coagulant properties in their saliva. The species is found from northern Vietnam to southern China. If using a solid paper substrate like paper towels or newsprint, the whole sheet should be changed if waste is observed. They should shed in a single piece without complication as long as they have access to drinking water during the period of opacity. [10], The adult size of G. boulengeri is 100–160 cm (39–63 in) in total length (including tail). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution -, Love, B. These are generally problem free and hearty snakes. Reptilia (Münster) 17 (93): 20-30 -, Kunz, K. 2015. Captive husbandry and breeding of Gonyosoma boulengeri. It is generally arboreal, and mostly nocturnal, hunting small mice and other rodents, birds, and perhaps other vertebrate prey. Serpentine. Using a particulate substrate, like shredded aspen or cypress mulch, these should be spot cleaned when waste is observed. Check List 16(2): 337-342 -. Forest Protection Department of Bac Giang Province 2010. Publishing House for Science and Technology, 37 pp. Smith, M.A. For reluctant feeders, I typically tease feed them with pink mouse heads offered while holding the snake in my other hand to limit a flight behavior response. Wild caught specimens generally are much more willing to bite defensively than captive bred specimens, though it is still uncommon. Initial building the sample sets of amphibians and reptiles in the Hong Duc University (Viet Nam). Sometimes this species will be offered for sale showing a dark stain in the center of each scale on portions of the snake’s body; this is usually a product of previously having had scale degeneration or subcutaneous masses in the affected area, and occasionally may be accompanied by a distortion or elongation of the scale structure. Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael (2011). SSAR, Oxford/Ohio, 1-522, Ziegler, T. 2002. Hefei, China, Anhui Sience & Technology Publ. II (color plates), 280 pp. I do not mist them; this species is susceptible to skin problems when maintained too wet. Eine seltene Natter aus Nordvietnam, Rhynchophis boulengeri Mocquard, 1897 (Squamata: Serpentes: Colubridae). Habits and characteristics of arboreal snakes worldwide: arboreality constrains body size but does not affect lineage diversification. [4], The specific name, boulengeri, is in honor of Belgian-British biologist George Albert Boulenger. 2017. Additionally, many have reported success using alternative items, such as live fish or tadpoles in the water bowl. I maintain these principally in rack systems. Gonyosoma boulengeri is also known as Rhinoceros ratsnake. The wide world of snakes in China. Biodiversity Data Journal 8: e52779 -, Schulz, B. Gonyosoma boulengeri. Herpetologists don’t know the purpose the horn serves. Reptilia and Amphibia. Once established feeding, and often around the time of their ontogenic color change, this species can become food aggressive, often lunging out of the enclosure open-mouthed for food. Abrams and PQ Blackwell, Auckland, New Zealand, 200 unnumbered pages, Li, J-N., Liang, D., Wang, Y-Y., Guo, P., Huang, S., Zhang, P., 2020. Zhao, E.M. 2006. The Fauna of British India, Ceylon and Burma, Including the Whole of the Indo-Chinese Sub-Region. 18 (4): 273–283
-. If ambient temperatures are below 24 °C (75 °F) continually, I will offer a basking spot that allows them to reach 29-32 °C (85-90 °F), either through the use of an undertank heat pad or elevated basking spot and low wattage light. 10.2305/IUCN.UK.2012-1.RLTS.T190628A1955324.en, A Rapid Biodiversity Survey of Che Tao Commune, Mu Cang Chai District, Yen Bai Province, Vietnam, Hanoi, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rhinoceros_ratsnake&oldid=967681186, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 14 July 2020, at 17:10. After 60 days' incubation, hatchlings are 30–35 cm (12–14 in) total length, brownish grey with dark edges on several dorsal scales. This species likes to sit on elevated perches in a flat coil, akin to Annulated Boas and Solomon Island Tree Boas, rather than a Green Tree Python or Emerald Tree Boa. Reptilia (Münster) 8 (44): 20-29 -. Hemipenis Morphology of Coronella Bella Stanley, 1917 with Comments on Taxonomic and Nomenclatural Issues of Ratsnakes (Squamata: Colubridae: Colubrinae: Elaphe Auct.). No12 УДК 597.6 + 598.1 -. advanced search › It has a prominent, distinctive, scaled protrusion on the front of its snout, which has led to its common naming after a rhinoceros. Go to: main text of page | main navigation | local menu, You are here » This species is susceptible to skin decay if kept too moist, or in a dirty environment. 1], 3 (6): 211-217. Can you confirm these amateur observations of Gonyosoma boulengeri? [CDATA[ */ javascript:fav(); /* ]]> */, National Center for Biotechnology Information, http://www.breeders-expo.de/species/Colubridae/Rhynchophis-boulengeri.html, Colubridae, Colubrinae, Colubroidea, Caenophidia, Alethinophidia, Serpentes, Squamata (snakes), Rhynchophis boulengeri MOCQUARD 1897: 215. Males, particularly during breeding season, will engage in combat behavior, and will aggressively pursue females, including copulatory bites. Rhynchophis boulengeri MOCQUARD 1897: 215 Proboscidophis versicolor FAN 1931 Rhynchophis boulengeri — SMITH 1943: 193 Rhynchophis boulengeri — ZIEGLER 2002: 293 Rhynchophis boulengeri — WALLACH et al. The species is found from northern Vietnam to southern China. It has a prominent, distinctive, scaled protrusion on the front of its snout, which has led to its common naming after a rhinoceros and the mythical unicorn. Постулат. It has a prominent, distinctive, scaled protrusion on the front of its snout, which has led to its common naming after a rhinoceros. The southernmost distribution of the Rhinoceros Snake, Gonyosoma boulengeri (Mocquard, 1897) (Reptile, Squamata, Colubridae), in Vietnam. Synonymy: WALLACH et al. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.

Gonyosoma boulengeri is also known as Rhinoceros ratsnake. I utilize an 8 ounce disposable water cup for water at all sizes. Ein Fall von Kannibalismus bei Gonyosoma boulengeri (Mocquard, 1897), mit Anmerkungen zur Inkubation im Terrarium. Herpetofauna of Vietnam. Biodiversity Journal 4 (4): 507–552, KANE, DANIEL; IRI GILL, LUKE HARDING, JOE CAPON, MARTIN FRANKLIN, FRANCESCA SERVINI, BENJAMIN TAPLEY & CHRISTOPHER J. MICHAELS 2017. I typically include cork bark flats and tubes to provide hiding places  on both sides of the enclosure and increase the usable space in the enclosure.

Females eat more consistently, and if they are re-productively active, I will feed them more frequently; they typically receive 16-24 weaned mice a year in my collection. I have also used 0.6 x 0.6 x 0.6 meters (2 x 2 x 2 feet) arboreal cages and larger for display. [CDATA[ */ javascript:prn(); /* ]]> */ Ein Hobby in der Kritik. J. Herpetol. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 125 (1): 61–71 -, Hecht, Vera L.; Cuong T. Pham, Tao T. Nguyen, Truong Q. Nguyen, Michael Bonkowski & Thomas Ziegler 2013. [9] During a 2001 survey, 10 specimens were observed in Yên Bái Province, northern Vietnam. Sauria 37 (3): 59-62 -, Beolens, Bo; Michael Watkins, and Michael Grayson 2011. Harrington, Sean M; Jordyn M de Haan, Lindsey Shapiro, Sara Ruane 2018. Natur und Tier Verlag (Münster), 342 pp. I principally utilize shredded Aspen for juveniles and adults, and paper towel for neonates. Bull. home › Find more photos by Google images search: Please submit feedback about this entry to the curator, ^ To top of page Reptilia (GB) (31): 12-21 -, Winchell, S. 2003. A Large-scale Systematic Framework of Chinese Snakes Based on a Unified Multilocus Marker System.