Is it any dangerous to hike in the DV park in april? The most threatened I've ever been by a snake was not in Death Valley, but in Salt Lake City not far from downtown. need advice! Are you connected to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Tons of info between those articles. OTOH, if there is a sign of an adit, midden, solder-plug can lid, or knap flakes, I probably won’t miss it. They can sense intruders, by vibrations. Don't cut yourself with the idea of sucking out the venom. In all my years in the desert, I could probably count all my sightings on the fingers of my hands. WILDLIFE - do they bite? FYI ~ Son says about half of all venomous snake bites are actually dry (no venom injected.). Reptiles have no physiological way to regulate their temperature like mammals, so they can't be out in extreme weather. My amateur herpetologist son is really looking forward to our upcoming DV trip just to see the snakes! We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. He put it in a bucket and asked his dad if he could take it home. Luckily, it was fine and scurried off. Concern is about rattlesnakes i have read about. CAMPING - where and when can we camp in Death Valley? Neighbors also saw many. Driving down from Oregon early December - route suggestions. 5-stars Hotels in Death Valley National Park, Popular Death Valley National Park Categories. Death Valley advice for November, please! Do I need it? Death Valley advice for November, please! But seriously, the odds of seeing a snake are sort of rare.You might see some tracks in the sand on the dunes.Or just happen across one on some trail you might be on. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National... SUMMER - is it safe to go to Death Valley? Death Valley National Park Vacation Packages, Things to Do in Death Valley National Park, Romantic Hotels in Death Valley National Park, 3-stars Hotels in Death Valley National Park, Death Valley National Park Hotels with Pools, Pet Friendly Hotels in Death Valley National Park, Suite Hotels in Death Valley National Park, Quiet Resorts in Death Valley National Park, Unique Resorts in Death Valley National Park, Death Valley National Park Pet Friendly Campgrounds, Death Valley National Park Hotels with Balconies, Charming Hotels in Death Valley National Park, Family Resorts in Death Valley National Park, Quiet Hotels in Death Valley National Park, Browse all 3,182 Death Valley National Park topics ». It is not meant to be a tourniquet, but a ligature to slow the spread of the snake venom away from the limb. this Roadrunner is a hen, not a rooster. See All Death Valley National Park Conversations, Driving Las Vegas to Yosemite - Where to stop. Is Death Valley wildlife dangerous? family trip to Death Valley mid-late November? BACKCOUNTRY road conditions - can I get to ...? Humans perspire, dogs pant, some critters have a sort of radiator system that circulates warm blood through a large network of vessels close to the surface of the skin, like in a rabbit’s big ears or a coyote’s tail. How far to ____ ? Driving down from Oregon early December - route suggestions. ROUTES to Death Valley? Bites happen when folks are not careful or smart (reaching into a dark area to retrieve a dropped item, showing off "Watch me kiss this snake", or as JimGin says *messing with the snake*). Sand board rental Death Valley Mesquite dunes. There is a ranch outside Zion that is more than nose to tail riding. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-65719174', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Death Valley, up to 3 or 4 times in some years, I have encountered a snake only once, and it was not a rattler. PNWF has a herpetologist in the family. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-23857028', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Frisco_Roadrunner is talking about (in the yellow plastic case) is called a Sawyer Extractor. Adults have developed the ability to "meter" the venom that they discharge, like adult humans know how to conserve energy or pull a punch. What maps to use? LODGING - which Death Valley resort or hotel is best for us? more, Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley National Park, Death Valley National Park Destination Experts. Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions. A heavy ligature isn't needed because it isn't a tourniquet; you're not supposed to cut off blood circulation, just the flow of venom away from the bite. I *really* wish the English language had a gender-neutral singular pronoun. Does anyone have any suggestions of best locations, tours etc that might help me achieve this? And we saw lots of smaller lizards like Fence Lizards, Side Blotches Lizards, & Collared Lizards in a variety of places in the Park. I'm curious as to why anyone would prod any snake (poisonous or not) with their walking stick. To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html. That's on our list of places to go and things to do/see :) Any recommendations for that. In 30 years of frequenting (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? I have hiked and hiked and hiked some more around and about (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? You have a better chance to see one in the evening or early morning. The body color ranges from cream, buff, and yellowish-brown to ash grey or pink. it all depends on how recently the snake fed, what it ate, etc. As PacificNWFamily states, snakes will sometimes deliver what is called a "dry bite" where no venom is actually injected. There are rattlesnakes in the hills around my city, a suburb of LA. LAS VEGAS one-day turnaround trips - what can we see? Utah black-headed snake Tantilla planiceps utahensis Nocturnal; Panamint Mountains. Small-Group Death Valley National Park Day Trip from Las Vegas, Private Area 51 and Death Valley Tour From Las Vegas, PRIVATE TOUR/ Death Valley Day Tour with Evening Milky Way Viewing, 3 Night / 2 Day Itinerary for Death Valley. 5-stars Hotels in Death Valley National Park, Popular Death Valley National Park Categories. Small-Group Death Valley National Park Day Trip from Las Vegas, Private Area 51 and Death Valley Tour From Las Vegas, PRIVATE TOUR/ Death Valley Day Tour with Evening Milky Way Viewing, www.nps.gov/deva/naturescience/reptiles.htm, www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027, http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html, 3 Night / 2 Day Itinerary for Death Valley. :-), I asked my son about snakes, and his eyes lit up. I was out hiking at Garin Peak Park here in the East bay recently when a small rattler crossed my trail. how do I get one? Related: What are the most popular tours in Death Valley National Park? How far to ____ ? Last summer I saw 6 or 8 when bicycling. An interesting thing is most peole who are bitten by rattlesnakes are males 20 or 30 years old who have been drinking ! Blessings from this side of the planet. WILDFLOWERS - will this be a superbloom year? more, Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley National Park, Death Valley National Park Destination Experts. LAS VEGAS one-day turnaround trips - what can we see? Thank you sooooooo much. (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Dreams are free I guess. FYI, the type of suction device that (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? The link PNWF gave isn't working for me. Young snakes can be deadlier than mature ones. Hee hee, kenish--and here we always thought that drinking only made people SEE rattlesnakes (usually pink ones), not get bitten by them! The Top Questions corner has a topic on hazards from Death Valley critters. That is not on horses though.Mules.There is a daytrip from the GC North Rim, but the NR is only open May thru October, which is in your time frame. You can get the kits at outdoor or camping supply stores like Cabela's, REI, Dick's, or possibly Sports Authority. My regular TA readers know I’m a big advocate of real footwear for outdoor wear in DV. Any recommendations for our circuit of Yosemite, Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Death Valley would be awesome and very, very much appreciated. Especially in warmer weather, they tend to stay under cover in the daytime, because reptiles have no physiological way to control their body temperatures like mammals do. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-23882552', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');California after 28 years here. What maps to use? The range of these reptiles include the arid regions of … But, you should also know, I have carried a proper snakebite kit in my pack just in case for all those years!